return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

RIAA vs. MPAA
View this Thread in Original format
djSlain
Now, i think everyone already knows and has already made up their minds about how the RIAA is handling their situation. My opinion: They missed the opportunity of a lifetime to take advantage of MP3s and now wants to make up for that money by suing 12 year olds for not paying $12 for a CD. Money hungry, not to mention all their own artists being ripped off by their greed. Britney/Nsync fans might not notice it, but i think we TAs are a bit more educated to see the ripoff of the RIAA....

so what do u guys feel about movie piracy? THere are thousands of sites, mIrc rooms and plenty of P2P programs to find just about any movie u want, local or nationwide, international or banned, honored or , etc etc etc. Within a day, u can have the latest movies on ur comp in high quality rips without paying a dime. fair?
Personally, while i do have a grudge with the RIAA for making CDs that are worth $10 at a store, and worth once it reaches ur ears. But with the MPAA, i am a lot different. $10 is definently reasonable for a movie that takes millions to produce. Plus there is the whole experience of going to a movie theater. It's a lot different than opening a plastic case and putting the disc in ur car CD player. It's the anticipation of waiting in line, the comfort of the seats to warm buttered popcorn, to the huge screen and awesome sound. It's truly an experience. Not to mention how great of an experience it is to laugh or cry with the audience. feels great.

RIAA, no
MPAA, yes.

$10 for about 2 hours of fun is a great price. The whole production of amovie is HUGE and everyone who takes part in the production EARNS the revenue. Not just show up in a studio, digitize the voice and slap a stupid 2 note riff with a club bass sound. NO.

too late, time to go to sleep
torontotrance
quote:
They missed the opportunity of a lifetime to take advantage of MP3s and now wants to make up for that

oh 1997 all over again....rofl...they missed a large boat...now they alienate their customers....then again...there is not much you can do...when you miss the boat.
Orbax
I hate people, generally, so I watch movies on my comp. if they are good I buy them. I have a HUGE in DVD collection, and arseloads of Anime DVDs because I would never have seen them w/out a download first. I mean I go to all the LOTR openings and stuff, cuz those are events because you know that movie was made with serious love for the fans. I dunno...I look at it a lot like MP3s. If I like the band I buy their . Nuff said. but when I download Shaoling Soccer, I dont feel bad, cuz I would never see it anyways hehe.

Im all about supporting stuff. I also buy games that I liked. Like American McGees Alice in Wonderland, Halflife, Medal of Honor, etc... Cuz I dont want them to go out of business and leave me with only ty games to pirate.

half selfishness/half morality = win win for everyone.
torontotrance
cdn laws are great..

think..i borrow a friend's cd...i can legally make a copy of it as long as it is for my personal use....gotta love my country....then again....they have a tax on all blank recording materials....they made 70 million in 6 yrs....but...you don't see the cdn version (well they poor anyway) of the riaa suing us....then again..our privacy laws are much tougher than the usa....come to canada...less gun crime...easier life...cept winter...but most can take it.
You aint Ninja
You can't possibly support one but not the other.

Seems like you think it's okay to pirate the crappy stuff, but must support the good.

Either way, I think people generally go buy a ticket when a huge movie is coming out, and likewise, they buy an album if they think that the album is top notch.
LiquidX
awwww. come on!! DVD's are Cheap! well worth the buy. I dont download movies at all, but buy them. You can easily find them for 2 for 10 bucks, or two ranging from 15-25. Cant beat that.
MrSquirrel
Piracy of movies is not as widespread due to the sheer file sizes involved. You have to ahve a high speed dedicated connection to get a movie, whereas a single song can be feasibly (tho slowly) downloaded by even someone on a 56k modem.

The MPAA has also already sued the makers of one DVD copying application and will most likely continue to do so for a long time to come.

MrS
Cuervo79
well to me its all about your connection... If i had a faster connection I would download movies, but because of my crappy connection I just download music... I'm with Orbax on this if I listen to a new band or new material and I like it I buy the album if not I stay with the good old classic single... on any other kind of software I hate piracy.. but the price don't help
djSlain
quote:
Originally posted by LiquidX
awwww. come on!! DVD's are Cheap! well worth the buy. I dont download movies at all, but buy them. You can easily find them for 2 for 10 bucks, or two ranging from 15-25. Cant beat that.

ya, i gotta agree. I mean u can find the VHS of Xmovie for $12, or u can get the DVD of Xmovie for $12, only with special features, subtitles, games, deleted scenes, multiple camera angles, etc. It's worth the $10, and ur rite about finding them deals like a 2 for 1 price. i think the Theatre ticket's price if right too. Reasonable.
TeKnoHe@d2025
I've watched quite a few dowloaded movies, then if I liked them I went out and bought them on DVD.

dvd
dvd's are pretty expensive..they're like 20 bucks if they're not on sale. Plus they come out with normal editions then couple months later come out with a edition with deleted scenes..you're like :FAWK: i want to see the other stuff that SUPOSE to be on my dvd... ithink both riaa and mpaa is unfair..
'mju:zik
quote:
Originally posted by TeKnoHe@d2025
I've watched quite a few dowloaded movies, then if I liked them I went out and bought them on DVD.

why the not just burn the ones you like onto a cd? i mean i dont care about the 15 or 20 bills but it's annoying to have to wait for delivery or actually go out and get a movie.

also every movie you don't buy and you just burn is like 5 joints when converted to weed currency...why waste the 5 js
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement