return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
geforce 2 mx acting up
View this Thread in Original format
Mosaic
my geforce 2 mx card is acting weird.

Anything graphic intensive (ie games) freezes/crashes, whatever.

Half-Life: Cannot get back to menu, erratic mouse movement
Soldier of Fortune: Game freezes upon starting new game
Anachronox: Runs for 2 secs, gets stuck in a loop for a minute, freezes, repeat.
NFS5: Game doesn't get past first loading screen

I seriously think something is wrong with the card... but I am wondering if anyone has some ideas.

btw, OS is Windows 2000 pro.
Orbax
www.nvidia.com dl the drivers
Mosaic
quote:
Originally posted by Orbax
www.nvidia.com dl the drivers

ummmmm... I'm not that stupid.

Reinstalling drivers was the first thing I tried over a week ago.
ThaDevil
GF2 MX is the tiest card every built by humans.
Turbonium
quote:
Originally posted by ThaDevil
GF2 MX is the tiest card every built by humans.

It's not THAT bad...
ThaDevil
quote:
Originally posted by Turbonium
It's not THAT bad...

Ohh yea it is, its very ty.
MaRt
Time for a new graphics card, it would seem. :sadgreen: You could try adjusting the level of hardware acceleration by popping along to Display Properties, the 'Settings' tab, then the 'Advanced' button and the 'Troubleshooting' tab.

This may or may not work as a temporary measure before you can set aside enough cash for a new card.
Orbax
quote:
Originally posted by Mosaic
ummmmm... I'm not that stupid.

Reinstalling drivers was the first thing I tried over a week ago.

did you get the ones from Nvidia?

because if it was a hardware problem, it wouldnt ing work at all. I very much doubt that its overheating and shutting down.

so that means software.

so that means drivers.
Mosaic
quote:
Originally posted by Orbax
did you get the ones from Nvidia?

because if it was a hardware problem, it wouldnt ing work at all. I very much doubt that its overheating and shutting down.

so that means software.

so that means drivers.

actually, I just went to reseat the graphics card again, and I found that it was REALLY hot (and I've been working with computer hardware since I was 6, I know when something is hotter than it should be)

but, I've discovered that games run fine in OpenGL... Direct3d modes are incredibly unstable, so I am gonna try a fresh install of DirectX

I thought the on-card memory might have been crapping out, because so many games were crapping out during loading.
jon
try using some 30.XX drivers, the 40.XX have caused issues on some of the machines ive been using in some games.

You said the card was hot, what cooling is on the GPU and is it attached corectly and hasnt been knocked out

If your geting the crashes in DX try running 3dmark2001 a few times to see if that crashes.

has the card ever been overclocked at all? sometimes if the ram is overclocked on a video card to much it can cause damage, although this is rare, in most cases the system will crash before damamge is done to the card

SebTheDJ
Dude.

Dont bother updating drivers or anything. BUy a newer Graphic card. MX is one of the ties. Buy a new vid card, or buy like a gefroce 3 TI500 or 200 from newegg.com with 64 mb and you will be happy.

I have an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro.
Mosaic
quote:
Originally posted by SebTheDJ
Dude.

Dont bother updating drivers or anything. BUy a newer Graphic card. MX is one of the ties. Buy a new vid card, or buy like a gefroce 3 TI500 or 200 from newegg.com with 64 mb and you will be happy.

I have an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro.

you can pay for it then
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement