return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont.

Movie Sharing And My Internet Provider
View this Thread in Original format
Blue.
Access Vantage called me (well my mom actually) and told them that I had been sharing a movie with someone and apparantly "Universal complained". What can they do about it? I could stop sharing movies but programs like Bit Torrent make it kinda hard to do so (very slow speeds if I don't share). So what can I do? I was gonna call the company and ask who it was that complained but I'm not sure if theres much I can do other than to stop sharing movies......

Comments, suggestions?
calldown
Ignore it is what I'd say, but that also depends on what
you use to share movies. Don't bother asking who complained,
not worth it. :P Doubt they'd tell you anyways. Suggestions for
what you can do: try to get access to SSL ftps, 'lay low' for a while
or just not care. Of course you could go all hardcore 'omgz they gonna h4x0r m3h' but think about this:

Why should Access Vantage care so much about you?

Why should UNIVERSAL care so much about you?

As long as you don't use KaZaA or any crap like that you should be fine. =)

-calldown
DigiNut
There isn't they can do even if you use KaZaA.

File sharing is legal in Canada through the levy we pay on CDs and other media. Universal can suck a lemon if they have a problem with that.
calldown
Ohh, he's in Canada? [Sidenote: I'm a ing moron. :D]

But yeah, don't worry about it then, like DigiNut said -
only thing to watch out for is if your ISP is hardassed.

Remember that ToS you signed when you signed up? They can pretty
much terminate your account whenever they feel like it. No
criminal charges or though. =)

-calldown
bomberMAN
Yea but u'll loose your INTERNET CONNECTION!!!
Blue.
I'm pretty sure I'll tell them to off and that instead I'll just burn my movies and give them to friends instead of letting them download off of me and I'll tell them sure I'll stop sharing movies, I'll just download twice as much, see how they like that .
Elmo-On-XTC
if you just shared it privately with say a friend it's not a problem...if it was being shared on kazaa they might be able to do something, but i dunno if the law really affects canadians

piracy was so much better when it was confined to IRC :rolleyes:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement