return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Xone 62 (No Digital Inputs??)
View this Thread in Original format
dynamix
All the CD players I have been looking at have either coaxial, or optical outputs. How would I go about connecting this to a Xone 62? Everything I've looked at (spec sheets) say that this mixer only has RCA inputs. Is this correct? If so wouldnt I be better off with the Tascam X-9? Same price as the Xone but has digital inputs, as well as a sampler/cool effects. Please give me some input on this. I'm going to order some stuff this week. Thanks guys

Dynamix
DJ1MK
What cd players are you looking at? It wouldn't make sense for the manufacturer to only include digital outputs as you would lose many potential customers that way. As far as the mixer goes I'd definately stick with the Xone:62. I've checked out the X-9 (haven't actually got to use it) but it's not the same quality as the Xone:62 IMO. Don't worry about effects. You don't end up using them that much (if you do they get annoying) and if you ever decided you really wanted them you could buy something just for effects that'd probably give you the best results anyway. Mixer side I'd say go for the Xone:62. You won't be dissapointed :)
dynamix
I'm looking at Numark Axis 9's, and the Denon DN-S3000. I think the Denon has Coax and RCA out-puts, but the spec sheet on the Numark only says Optical & coax. Is this right?
Rememberence_
"coax" isn't very specific. RCA uses coax cabling, and RCA is an analog standard, so is the RIAA standard (phono), which is also analog and uses coax cabling. There is a digital standard called SPDIF that ALSO uses the same plug as an RCA lead, and I believe THAT TOO uses coax cable. When someone says "digital output/input", that can mean either using optical cabling, or the SPDIF standard (coax with RCA type connectors)...

Anyway, the point is, "coax" is a loose term and only refers to the type of cable and the type of plug used, but does NOT refer to the signal that the cable is carrying. Make sure you know the important thing: is the output/input digital or analog?

By the way, you are correct in saying that the xone62 does not have digital inputs, only RCA (line level) and RIAA (phono signal) inputs.

edit: by the way I just looked at the denon site and indeed the S3000 DOES have both analog (coax RCA) and digital outputs.
Dj Thy
Usually when they say coax for cd players they don't mean the RCA (above example, RCA has been stated apart), but they usually mean SP/DIF on coax connection (it looks like an RCA indeed). Either they'll say optical or coax digital output.

Very few dj mixers have digital inputs right now. And most cdplayers digital output is not always fully functional (in that way that when you use dj effects, including pitch or looping, the digital output gets muted). Only the latest and more expensive models (CDj1000 mk2 for example, mk1 did mute the digi out).

When using good cables, you won't hear any difference between the digital and analog connections on cdj's. Usually those outputs are meant for transfering cd's to another media/copying.
MERiDiAN5i2
there's no reason to even worry about the digital outputs of the CD decks. just use the analog outputs.

digital stuff is best reserved for production and such. stick with analog for mixing.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement