return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Recording a live set at a club
View this Thread in Original format
DJErnieP
whats up guys. I got a gig coming up that i need to record the set for. I was curious as to what equipment i need to do that with. And how i would set it up. I'm thinking a mini disc, but anyone got an idea?
fzrr
MD recorder with an RCA to 3mm headphone cable does the job for me very nicely.
Luke Terry
minidisk is the easiest way + also has poor sound quality, but if you have a decent laptop u could record using that and stick a mic on the front of the dj booth or somewhere so u can get the 'live' sound with crowd reaction too, either record both of em at once in one file or record each in separately and join them in soundforge.
Chris d(-_-)b
If you use a mic, you will get the atmosphere on tape too. Even though the sound looses a bit quality when recorded with mic, i think it is kind of cooler with all that crowd and stuff in the backgorund.
razzi
quote:
if you have a decent laptop u could record using that and stick a mic on the front of the dj booth or somewhere so u can get the 'live' sound with crowd reaction too, either record both of em at once in one file or record each in separately and join them in soundforge.

this is the way to go, best quality, sounds the coolest for sure
DJErnieP
ok, i dont have a laptop. So minidisc then? and what port do i plug it into on the mixer?
T:REBEL
minidisc or dat recorder...

either should work.
DJErnieP
ok, now how do i set that up to a mixer
DeleriuM2K
if you dont already have one, get an RCA to 1/8inch jack cord
plug the two RCA's into your "recording" output or "tape" output, since your Master outs and Booth outs will probably be in use. Run the 1/8inch jack (the same as whats on your headphones, not the big one that goes into your mixer before your headphones, thats 1/4inch) into your Line Input on your MD player

make sure your levels arent too high or too low on your tape/recording output

also, since RCA is unbalanced (no ground) it will act as an antenna and pick up stray electromagnetic interference :o ... so try and keep the cord away from other cords and equipment as best you can

:D

on another note, check out the mix I uploaded to your FTP :)
Jordan Ashkenazy - 09-29-03
Sharpy
Make sure you have a fresh battery for your MD.

Oh and my MD recorder has MIC input as well as Line In. Reckon i could use that to get the crowd/atmospheric noises? Would there be heaps of reverb???
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement