return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

The Physics of Cueing Up????
View this Thread in Original format
Tr@NzA
Yo guys

Ive been DJing for at least over a year now, beat matching is near perfect, but my cueing up needs improved. I want to be able to bring a tune in on the the breakdown of another. U know, so as one tune breaksdown, the next tune kicks in exactly on the 1st beat of the bar.

So in other words I want to MIX IN KEY hehe, coz u dont wanna be bringing a record in halfway through a 1/16 or 1/32 tempo, u wanna mix it in so its fits.

Need some feedback TA's, on how u guys cue up???

Thanx in advance

Tr@NzA
Fyx
One option would be to start the new record spinning with the crossfader/channel level up on the first beat just as it occurs, but you'll need good timing or it could sound like a trainwreck. When I do this it usually helps to go back and forth over the first beat of the record I'll be bringing in a few times (just in my headphones) to get a 'feel' for where the beat is so I can drop it in perfectly.

Another way would be getting your new record set up maybe 4-8 beats before the first beat you want to mix in. Then when it's 4-8 beats before the main song kicks back in you can get it going and synch it up nice and tight. Usually there are distinct clues as to where the beat lies with highhats and such in the live song just before it resumes.

Unless you have a funky breakdown that adds on an extra 4 beats you can accomplish this by just starting another song at the first beat of a bar when the breakdown starts, and if they stay synched it should still be on the first beat of a bar when the breakdown finishes. Though, not always on the first beat of a new section. (which is usually preferable)
Tr@NzA
Thanx man, that helped to understad it :)

Tr@NzA
>everest<
im no expert but from personal experiance and preference i have found that the best technique for me is to cue up the record so that it is on the brink of the beat u want to start on. Then, actually release it the instant b4 u actually want it to start. Make sure u got ur fingers on either the spindle (metal post in the middle) or on pith bend buttons just incase ur drunk or summut and fluff up :] Anyway, I find this compensates for human reaction speed, unless .........of course .......ur spider man, then this wouldnt be an issue in the first place. (_8(I)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement