return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Interrail
View this Thread in Original format
St_Andrew
any experiences? i'm planing to buy one of their global pass for next summer and go all around europe with some friends... sounds like fun, but i need tips, how much does it cost, where is the best places to live, etc?

and what cool places must i visit? have been most in western europe before so eastern places would be cool (of course i will try to go on all major trance events too like loveparade and so...) :)

TIPS please ! ! ! ! :D
gwrmarines
OMG did i leave the stove on!?!?!!?
DrUg_Tit0
quote:
Originally posted by St_Andrew
any experiences? i'm planing to buy one of their global pass for next summer and go all around europe with some friends... sounds like fun, but i need tips, how much does it cost, where is the best places to live, etc?

and what cool places must i visit? have been most in western europe before so eastern places would be cool (of course i will try to go on all major trance events too like loveparade and so...) :)

TIPS please ! ! ! ! :D

I've been traveling with eurorail through central/eastern Europe last summer. I think it was about 220 or so euros for 2 zones. If you take the whole Europe, it would be around 600 euros, but that's kinda stupid because it would take you like several months to visit all the interesting places. It took me 3 weeks to visit the most interesting places in those 2 zones, and I had to run around like crazy. Also, the eurorail ticket covers only the slowes trains, so if you get on a faster one by accident, you will have to pay for the ride.

Now, about the interesting places, I'd definitely suggest you visit Prague. Aside from that, Krakow is also nice, and it has a very interesting salt mine in the vicinity. Not much advertized, but I assure you it's worth a see. Some parts of it look like the inside of a cathedral, but are made of salt. Aside from that, Vienna and Budapest are also nice. You might wanna see Koln, where the biggest gothic cathedral is. Not far from it is Aachen, where Charlemagne is burried. Ulm, on the other hand, has the tallest gothic cathedral. I think Zagreb is also in the same eurorail region, and I posted a few pictures of it in a thread called something like "post pictures of where you live", so you can see there how it looks like. Feel free to come, because we're always in the need of tourist money :)
KLINGKLANG77
quote:
Originally posted by DrUg_Tit0
Now, about the interesting places, I'd definitely suggest you visit Prague.

how is prague? i am going there on friday and a few recommendations would be great! thanks.

quote:
Ulm, on the other hand, has the tallest gothic cathedral.

that catheral is really nice, i went there last month. climbing up is nice too. ulm can be done as a day trip, IMO.

and of course the obvious, berlin! so much to see in berlin. i have heard dresden is really nice, too. i plan to visit there some time next year.
DrUg_Tit0
quote:
Originally posted by KLINGKLANG77
how is prague? i am going there on friday and a few recommendations would be great! thanks.

Well, to begin with, it's really cheap. I was there in a hostel or something, and you could get more than you could eat for 3 euros or something like that. The only downside was that the hostel is not quite near the center. It's a bunch of ugly buildings on a hill. It has a really nice architecture, the main square is very pretty, and the Golden Lane+castle too. Btw, if you go into Golden Lane, there was this one room there where you could shoot from a crossbow. The guy there was totally pissed off at something and unfriendly, and he had a sort of medieval tunic over his shoulders, but modern slippers on his feet. Tell me if he's still there :)

quote:
that catheral is really nice, i went there last month. climbing up is nice too. ulm can be done as a day trip, IMO.

I know, we've never even planned on going to Ulm, until I realized that the cathedral there was taller than the Koln one. So we just came there, climbed the cathedral and went on :)

quote:
and of course the obvious, berlin! so much to see in berlin. i have heard dresden is really nice, too. i plan to visit there some time next year.

Well, to be honest, architecture-wise, Berlin is really ugly. Especially the new Reichstag, the CDU center and that ugly blue memorial next to Frauenkirsche (or whatever it's called). But there are a hell of a lot of parties around there, and people are often dressed in a weird way. I've spent most of my time there in the Turkish quarter. Supposedly it was dangerous, but the food was much cheaper. Besides, we were all armed with souvenir swords.

Oh, and hostels there cost a lot of money, like 30 euros or so. That's why I slept at the ZOO train station. It's famous for drug dealers/users, violent crimes and things like that. I've had a really interesting evening there. The amount of junkies and wierdos from all sides of the world (Venezuela, USA, Poland, just to mention some) I met that night, and the stories they had to tell was amazing.
St_Andrew
quote:
I've been traveling with eurorail through central/eastern Europe last summer. I think it was about 220 or so euros for 2 zones. If you take the whole Europe, it would be around 600 euros, but that's kinda stupid because it would take you like several months to visit all the interesting places. It took me 3 weeks to visit the most interesting places in those 2 zones, and I had to run around like crazy. Also, the eurorail ticket covers only the slowes trains, so if you get on a faster one by accident, you will have to pay for the ride.

hmm if you buy one global interrail pass you will pay about 400 Euro for one month, if you buy a 2 zone pass it would cost about 300, so it's not that big difference. And if you live in sweden you have to come down to southern europe too so if you don't have the global pass you either have to pay to go down there or choose that zones, and i really don't want to go around germany/scandinavia the whole summer :p and if i pay to get down there i guess the differnce between the global pass and 2 zone pass would be very small.

one other interesting thing i found out, while browsning interrail's site, was that in croatia it only cost 311 euro for a global pass!!! that is so unfair :O :p :wtf:

Swedish Prices (one euro = about 9 sek): http://www.interrailnet.com/passes....&type_country=I

Croatian Prices:
http://www.interrailnet.com/passes....&type_country=I

quote:
Now, about the interesting places, I'd definitely suggest you visit Prague. Aside from that, Krakow is also nice, and it has a very interesting salt mine in the vicinity. Not much advertized, but I assure you it's worth a see. Some parts of it look like the inside of a cathedral, but are made of salt. Aside from that, Vienna and Budapest are also nice. You might wanna see Koln, where the biggest gothic cathedral is. Not far from it is Aachen, where Charlemagne is burried. Ulm, on the other hand, has the tallest gothic cathedral. I think Zagreb is also in the same eurorail region, and I posted a few pictures of it in a thread called something like "post pictures of where you live", so you can see there how it looks like. Feel free to come, because we're always in the need of tourist money :)

I have also heard that prague, krakow, vienna (have been in austria many times but never in vienna, what a shame :p) and budapest are beautiful towns! :D so i will probably go there... and Croatia too, have heard even more good things about that! :D

quote:
Well, to be honest, architecture-wise, Berlin is really ugly. Especially the new Reichstag, the CDU center and that ugly blue memorial next to Frauenkirsche (or whatever it's called). But there are a hell of a lot of parties around there, and people are often dressed in a weird way. I've spent most of my time there in the Turkish quarter. Supposedly it was dangerous, but the food was much cheaper. Besides, we were all armed with souvenir swords.

i think berlin is a rather cool city, not the most beutiful one i can agree, but it was pretty many trees which made it rather nice to be there and it was interesting with all this east/west things!
DrUg_Tit0
quote:
one other interesting thing i found out, while browsning interrail's site, was that in croatia it only cost 311 euro for a global pass!!! that is so unfair :O :p :wtf:

Swedish Prices (one euro = about 9 sek): http://www.interrailnet.com/passes....&type_country=I

Croatian Prices:
http://www.interrailnet.com/passes....&type_country=I

Hehe, well, compared to our income, you still have the upper hand. Do you have to buy the tickets in the country you're from? I think you don't so maybe we can strike a deal. You send me 350 euros through mail and I'll get you those tickets :)

quote:
I have also heard that prague, krakow, vienna (have been in austria many times but never in vienna, what a shame :p) and budapest are beautiful towns! :D so i will probably go there... and Croatia too, have heard even more good things about that! :D

I forgot to mention Thal (near Graz), the birthplace of Arnold Schwarzenegger. There's a sort of museum there with a room where he first started lifting weights!

Anyway, glad you'll come here too. Make sure to visit the coastline, especially Dubrovnik, a really nice city with a very nice architecture. You can freely skip Rijeka, though, unless you enjoy seeing bunch of skysrcapers on a very hilly terrain. Although it's kinda interesting to see that one skyscraper's 20th floor is at the same level as the nextdoor 2nd floor.

quote:
i think berlin is a rather cool city, not the most beutiful one i can agree, but it was pretty many trees which made it rather nice to be there and it was interesting with all this east/west things!

Imo it makes up for it's ugliness with a bunch of wierdos living there :)
St_Andrew
quote:
Hehe, well, compared to our income, you still have the upper hand. Do you have to buy the tickets in the country you're from? I think you don't so maybe we can strike a deal. You send me 350 euros through mail and I'll get you those tickets :)

yeah, i think we can do a good deal for booth of us ;) just must come up with some idea so i can be sure that you really send me those tickets =)

(yes i think that you will send them but hey some hundred euros is much money.. so i have to be sure =))

quote:
I forgot to mention Thal (near Graz), the birthplace of Arnold Schwarzenegger. There's a sort of museum there with a room where he first started lifting weights!

lol....

quote:
Anyway, glad you'll come here too. Make sure to visit the coastline, especially Dubrovnik, a really nice city with a very nice architecture. You can freely skip Rijeka, though, unless you enjoy seeing bunch of skysrcapers on a very hilly terrain. Although it's kinda interesting to see that one skyscraper's 20th floor is at the same level as the nextdoor 2nd floor.

yeah, most of the good things that i have heard about croatia is about the coastline
DrUg_Tit0
quote:
yeah, i think we can do a good deal for booth of us ;) just must come up with some idea so i can be sure that you really send me those tickets =)

(yes i think that you will send them but hey some hundred euros is much money.. so i have to be sure =))

Don't you trust me?
*hmm...my car needs repair...a new graphic card...my mobile sucks...350 euros should do* ;)

Seriously, now, I know it would be silly of you to trust me with such a sum. I really can't think of a way to do it...Perhaps sending money to a locked account which would be unlocked when you recieve the ticket...but then how can I prove you got the ticket? Or you can just trust me and then barge in on my door if you don't get the ticket with several of your friends and beat me up :) Hm, if you think of something better let me know...
St_Andrew
if we do it thorugh ebay or something then you got some protection right? just an idea, may be worth to check out...

sure we can come up with something... it's not buying time now so we have some time before we have to come up with something

DrUg_Tit0
Do you need a credit card for ebay? Because I don't have one.
fastmp3
ebay fees + fast & secure shipping = u'll pay the same price at the end :tongue2
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement