return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

TRANCE : definition??
View this Thread in Original format
-=Sky=-
sup

Im writing a paper on music and ive decided to write a paper on
trance. In the class,we have discussed classical, pop, and jazz..

I FEEL as though trance is related to classical music because it evokes emotions. Through the use of "sounds", in a simple way of explaining, it takes me up and down and plays with how i feel at
certain parts of the song. I say "related' because even though trance is in a genre of its own, i need to tie it into a common genre because the professor and the students know little or know nothing at all about trance....

anyway i still havent put my thoughts together and i thought, "hey why not post it in the chill out section to get different perspectives
on this because i know people have different opinions on what trance is....

so, if interested in sharing your thoughts...

is there a relation between trance and classical/pop?

thanks in advance
electric_soul
Trance is a subgenre of electronic dance music (which is also a subgenre of electronic music).

Although not 100% accurate, this is a good start:
http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trance_music

edit: btw, if trance evokes emotions to you, and also does classical. they're related to you because of your emotions.
So, basically the connection between them it's you, not the actual music. I wouldn't base a paper on that. Unless it's titled "me and music" or something like that :p
Mebot
Ishkur v2.0

;)

:haha: :haha: :haha:
Boomer187
search around the forums too, there have been tons o posts on this and I am sure you can extract some good info there. It will take a ton o time though cause there is a lot there.
lücid
trance (trns)
n.

1. A hypnotic, cataleptic, or ecstatic state.
2. Detachment from one's physical surroundings, as in contemplation or daydreaming.
3. A semiconscious state, as between sleeping and waking; a daze.

\Trance\, n.

2. A state in which the soul seems to have passed out of the body into another state of being, or to be rapt into visions; an ecstasy.

maybe try using these actual definitions from the dictionary and compare that to how trance music makes you feel. careful though, some teachers don't like if you stray too far off the main subject. and unfortunately i'm thinking that since trance music is not all that popular, the teacher may not understand, unless the paper is very well-written.

don't listen to me though, i haven't written a paper in years, lol :thepirate
BryZe
I believe there are a number of ways that trance is related to classical music. You can seperate the music into the various instruments used in an orchestra. Trance utilizes percussion, violin, piano as well as a number of other various air and string instruments.

Classical music is a marriage of all the various instruments into one harmonious and emotional sensation. It consists of progressive rising and falling of energy with build-ups and dramatic sequences that tell a story.

Trance music follows much of the same set of ideas as it leads the listener into a dream world that is individual to that person. The emotions for each person are created by the individual sounds or instruments.

I hope this sparks some ideas for you or helps get the creative ball rolling. I think the question you should be asking is....

Why do Trance(Classical) music listeners usually enjoy the sound of Classical(Trance) music??

Unless this is just my opinion :)
Hybrid - Finished Symphony
Fenology - Unfinished Symphony
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement