return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Ortofon Scratch
View this Thread in Original format
Prodigy Child
Hey my fellow DJs, just wondering, I got this cart and was wondering how much wear it might do to my records?, cos I been using it allot, I'm not a scratch DJ, but its better than my other carts, and was also wondering if the needle can be changed for a different needle?, I know that the carts internals were designed for the scratch sounds and that, but it still sounds good, so if anybody knows much about the wear on this cart, it would be appreciated for your info, cheers.

Oh and incase your wondering, I got it with a deck I got recently, didn't pay extra, and got the case and 2 spare needles aswell.
benoitfan
quote:
Originally posted by Prodigy Child
Hey my fellow DJs, just wondering, I got this cart and was wondering how much wear it might do to my records?, cos I been using it allot, I'm not a scratch DJ, but its better than my other carts, and was also wondering if the needle can be changed for a different needle?, I know that the carts internals were designed for the scratch sounds and that, but it still sounds good, so if anybody knows much about the wear on this cart, it would be appreciated for your info, cheers.

Oh and incase your wondering, I got it with a deck I got recently, didn't pay extra, and got the case and 2 spare needles aswell.

Hey there, well I use one too and I'm not a scratch DJ either and I have nothing negative to say about them really.. it depends on how you have your deck set-up as well to keep record wear at a minimum, but the ortofon scratch are a good deal! :)
I ed one of them up with a backspin some weeks ago lol :haha:
Prodigy Child
quote:
Originally posted by benoitfan
Hey there, well I use one too and I'm not a scratch DJ either and I have nothing negative to say about them really.. it depends on how you have your deck set-up as well to keep record wear at a minimum, but the ortofon scratch are a good deal! :)
I ed one of them up with a backspin some weeks ago lol :haha:

Thats good to hear, I'm only running 2.5 grams on the needle and it works fine, no skipping, sounds good and looks good under a blacklight, but would like to know if I could change it to a Nightclub or DJ needle, I'm sure I could, but does anybody know if the sound might screw up or anything.
Freak
Scratch has the most output of the entire concorde range...even higher than the nightclub S

In order of stylus tip size (smallest first) it goes
Nightclub S
Scratch
Dj S
Scratch stylus are very good- they will work very well for other things other than scratching. No point in changing really
Dj Thy
BTw the nightclub is soon to be outclassed by the Ortofon Elektro. And they have a contender for the Shure M44-7 coming up also, the GT. Specs are at futureproducers...
Freak
I already have a pair of elektros....highly impressive....and soo sexy in white
SUNWmsf
I have a pair of the ortofon golds... I wonder if the ortofon elekttro e's would have better fidelity than the golds?

anyone know?
Dj Thy
Golds are basically Nightclubs, with a different paintjob. The elektro's will have (as they are not officially released yet) higher output, a new cantilever system, and more bass response.
waxHead
shame I didn't find out about the Elektro's earlier, I just picked up a pair of Nightclub E's. not disappointed though, they sound leagues better than my Shure M44-7s ;)
Prodigy Child
Hey people, well I been reading up LOADS about the Ortofon range, and found out allot of good stuff, well first I found that all the Concorde and OM carts (not including needles) are internally the same, its the needle that makes the difference, so I could throw on a Nightclub and hey presto I got one, I also found that the needle doesn't course much wear so thats good, and I've heard about the Electro and the GTs and they sound dam good, might look into them in the future.

auujay
Prodigy Child - Are you positive that the carts them selves are the same (and not that it will just fit, but the inside themselves are the same)?
I ask because I too have heard of people who upgrade by buying the better replacement cart so I know they fit, but I have not seen (but have not looked too hard) evidence to indicate that if I replace my PROs (silver) with a DJ S stylus it will sound the same as if I had a whole DJ S stylus and cart. I really want to do this but I want to be sure that it will sound just as good.
Prodigy Child
quote:
Originally posted by auujay
Prodigy Child - Are you positive that the carts them selves are the same (and not that it will just fit, but the inside themselves are the same)?
I ask because I too have heard of people who upgrade by buying the better replacement cart so I know they fit, but I have not seen (but have not looked too hard) evidence to indicate that if I replace my PROs (silver) with a DJ S stylus it will sound the same as if I had a whole DJ S stylus and cart. I really want to do this but I want to be sure that it will sound just as good.

Well I heard this over at Futureproducers forum, one of the guys that work for Ortofon is now on there, and he was answering a load of questions for people, and that was one of them, and he assured people that the internals are the same, the only thing different about the carts (not including the needle) is the colour, I know it sounds weird and a little stupid, but hey it came from one of the guys that make these carts, so I gotta believe him, if you wanna make double sure about this, I'd surgest phoning Ortofon and asking another guy, I'll try and find the thread in the forum in afew minutes and will post it here just so you all can find out for yourself and a whole bunch of other stuff.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement