return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

linksys router help.
View this Thread in Original format
BTG
i've probably asked 1000 times already, but i dont know what to do :/

i need the filters set so i can use msn properly. it keeps ing up. :/ help.
Dmatrox
set all settings to default, you can do this through the ip address the router is assigned. the manual should tell you what ip address the router is. Once you tap into the router, you can mess with the settings. First try setting all settings to default. If that still doesnt work, go back in and mess with the settings. I dont know if this will work for yours, but it works for my linksys.
Carl0s
go to: http://192.168.1.1
and a username/password dialog will pop out, do not type in a username, for the password just type in admin

Once you get in......look around the tabs for port forwarding(you should probably google and find out the ports that MSN uses) and set the correct ports to 192.168.1.1 unless you have more than one computer connected to the router.

After doing all this, I suggest rebooting and at the same time unplug the router and plug it back in after about 3 seconds.

Once you bootup, everything should be to go.
Nalin
I think its obvious he's asking what actual values the filters need and not how to log on, my god.

And if anyone knows about the values for msn messanger, how bout giving values for icq2002a cause i have a linksys router too.
Carl0s
quote:
Originally posted by Nalin
I think its obvious he's asking what actual values the filters need and not how to log on, my god.

And if anyone knows about the values for msn messanger, how bout giving values for icq2002a cause i have a linksys router too.

If you actually read my directions I stated that he needs to google and find out what ports MSN uses and list them on the port forwarding tab.....retarded .
Nalin
wow, cause im sure he just totally would never have thought of using google. the idea of asking a question about filter values is to save him time looking for them not to be explained something as trivial as logging into his router.
BTG
:haha:
igottaknow
My 1st router was a Wireless Linksys, had nothing but trouble, returned it got a Netgear and never looked back.
AvPPoW
quote:
Originally posted by igottaknow
My 1st router was a Wireless Linksys, had nothing but trouble, returned it got a Netgear and never looked back.

I'm still shaky when it comes to netgear consumer stuff, after past incidents like this.

I'm running a linksys BEFSR41, it's fine. You ever stop to think that your linksys was defective? or mayyybe user error?

Anyways, according to http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100495.asp, the MSN messanger ports are 6901 and 6891-6900

Stepbystep
quote:
go to: http://192.168.1.1
and a username/password dialog will pop out, do not type in a username, for the password just type in admin

Click on advanced tab

Click on port forwarding

Go to start>run and type in "cmd" (if windows xp/2k) or "command" (if windows 98/me)

Type in "ipconfig" and use the IP adress listed to forward the appropriate ports.

Profit
igottaknow
quote:
Originally posted by AvPPoW
I'm still shaky when it comes to netgear consumer stuff, after past incidents like this

not to defend netgear, but their equipent is rock solid and they're the modem of choice for consumers. Of course when you're that popular you're often the target of hackers, but i cant image why they would hardcode a university servers address (must have used it to do to set the time or varify its router was connection. Anyways thanks for the info, i updated my firmware.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement