return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Anyone used a Citronic CDM 10:4 DSP mixer?
View this Thread in Original format
tu_face
hi, im currently looking at getting a new mixer.. unfortunatly a DJM500, 600 or 3000 is out of my price range but i want a mixer with FX and nice faders so i can get creative..

basically wondering if anyone has ever used a Citronic CDM 10:4 DSP, and if so what is it like? is it one of these mixers that im gunna spend £320 on then its going to break in 6 months? bear in mind i play techno and things like faders, eq's and x-faders get a lot of hammer..

ive also got my eye on a vestax PCV275 as i love these mixers.. i know they last a long time but i want a built-in FX unit damnit!

any opinions welcome :)
Nemesis44
In my opinion you should get the Vestax mixer. Not that I know off hand the Citronic you are refering to but I would be pretty sure that the Vestax is better whatever the case.
Built in effects get old pretty quick unless they are put together well. The good thing about a lot of Vestax mixers is that they have send and return features so it allows you to control the effects you put on a channel, thus the addition of a chaos pad in time wouldn't be so bad? If you really felt you needed those things that is.

Just my opinion. :)

Cheers
Nem
tu_face
yeah i know in my heart of hearts that the vestax will blatently be a better mixer i.e. the parts are more expensive and thus last longer.. but ive been using FX mixers a lot lately and i like the idea!

hmmm decisions :/
DJ Kibon
You might want to take a look at the Behringer DJX-700 as a low-cost choice. It's approx $500 CND, and is basically a ripoff of the Pioneer 600 (which is about 3-4x the price). I've been really happy with my Behringer VMX-200, but part of this will really depend on your overall budget.

http://www.djstore.co.uk/cgi-bin/it...&item=behdjx700

The next mixer up that I would personally consider would be the Allen & Heath Xone 32. Keep in mind that I'm not familiar with the Vestax mixers, so I can't really provide any advice relating to them.

http://www.djstore.co.uk/cgi-bin/it...&item=allxone32

And finally, it looks like I used an older blue variant of the Citronic Pro8 at the club on Friday (not sure of the exact model number, the cueing controls were quite different, had a booth fader, etc.), and I didn't like it at all...

tu_face
hrm, i have used a citronic mixer once in my life and it didnt seem that bad.. but then again i only used it once lol..

as far as behringer is concerned, i read somewhere that there is no control over the time variable of an effect.. as in they all have set frequencies and stuf.. the fastest of which goes up to 132 bpm or sumthin.. which is useless for me. is this right?

allen & heath mixers, yeah they are great for mixing trance and prog, but IMO the x-fader is complete e, and thus renders it very hard for me to do what i do. the filters are outstanding tho.

i think ive pretty much made up my mind on the vestax now anyhow.. possibly gunna get one of those alesis airFX boxes of fun, prices are good atm :D

cheers for the replies guys ;)
Nemesis44
He he... Cross faders.

My advice to you would be to ignore crossfaders all together. Unless you do "Turntablist tricks" (in which case get a vestax battle mixer) there is no need to even think about it. Not all club mixers even have them.

I also play techno in my sets sometimes, and like you enjoy really 'messing' around with the music so I know where you are comming from.

Cheers
Nem
DJ Kibon
quote:
Originally posted by tu_face
hrm, i have used a citronic mixer once in my life and it didnt seem that bad.. but then again i only used it once lol..

as far as behringer is concerned, i read somewhere that there is no control over the time variable of an effect.. as in they all have set frequencies and stuf.. the fastest of which goes up to 132 bpm or sumthin.. which is useless for me. is this right?

allen & heath mixers, yeah they are great for mixing trance and prog, but IMO the x-fader is complete e, and thus renders it very hard for me to do what i do. the filters are outstanding tho.

i think ive pretty much made up my mind on the vestax now anyhow.. possibly gunna get one of those alesis airFX boxes of fun, prices are good atm :D

cheers for the replies guys ;)

I've noticed that different DJs have varying ways of mixing, but I personally never touch the crossfader. All of my transitions are done using the channel faders and EQ.

I can't answer your question regarding Behringer FX timing, but I will say that I was less than impressed with the Alesis AirSynth & AirFX boxes...
tu_face
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Kibon
I've noticed that different DJs have varying ways of mixing, but I personally never touch the crossfader. All of my transitions are done using the channel faders and EQ.

I can't answer your question regarding Behringer FX timing, but I will say that I was less than impressed with the Alesis AirSynth & AirFX boxes...

if i am playing trance or prog i hardly touch the x-fader, but most of the time im playing techno and i do a lot of cutting & arsing about, for which channel faders are not brilliant :)

what was the problem with the airFX? are FX any good or is it just the way u use it that was the problem? ive never had the chance to use one before but the idea is novell :toothless
Nemesis44
I have the original KAOS pad. Whilst it was fun it has to be said that these lower priced effects units seem to leave a lot to be desired.
The KAOS pad seems to have problems with getting levels right as it's easy to get too much when using an effect. At this point some smart alec is probably going to say that I didn't set it right... And before they do I will say that the pad has problems with consistancy.

Most of the effects are really just variations of eachother and the sampler is basically crap. This function in particullar is very hard to get right with levels and there is no editing facility.

It's always better to use them with mixers capable of send and recieve though (Like some of the Vestax) as you can isolate the effect to an individual channel. This will open up a few more tricks to you. Scratching with reverb is always nice.. makes it sound as if it's part of the track.

This probably hasn't helped one bit but I figured I would give you my verdict on the KAOS pad MK I.

Cheers
Nem
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement