return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Gemini BPM-1 beat counter
View this Thread in Original format
tdurden
To begin with, I already know how most everyone in this forum feels about beat counters. Furthermore, my intent is not start a beat counter vs no beat counter war. With that said, I'm thinking of picking up such a unit as a learning tool. I don't want spend a lot of money on it, since I view the unit as a set of "traning wheels" and that is all.

The unit I'm looking at in particular is the Gemini BPM-1 as seen here. What I like to know is if anyone here has had any experience with this equipment and what are their thoughts on it. Also what kind of reputation does the vendor have? If not this unit, perhaps there's a better alternative. Whatever unit I end up with, I fully envision retiring it back to it's box within the shortest period of time.

Thoughts anyone!
Prodigy Child
I know you don't wanna hear this, but you shouldn't buy one, it will actually make it harder down the line to mix without it, kinda like starting to mix all over again, I've seen it before, everyone who buys one and then doesn't want to use it has a tough time without it, I dunno how accurate the counter is, but I'm not sure if there are any counters out there that are accurate enough to get the timing perfect, but if you insist on it, then go for it, but your gonna be spending money on something that will make it harder for you, sorry if you don't like this, but its the truth.
DJ Lazy
quote:
Originally posted by Prodigy Child
I know you don't wanna hear this, but you shouldn't buy one, it will actually make it harder down the line to mix without it, kinda like starting to mix all over again, I've seen it before, everyone who buys one and then doesn't want to use it has a tough time without it, I dunno how accurate the counter is, but I'm not sure if there are any counters out there that are accurate enough to get the timing perfect, but if you insist on it, then go for it, but your gonna be spending money on something that will make it harder for you, sorry if you don't like this, but its the truth.

I second that.
m0sh
BEAT COUNTERS SUCKS!
DO NOT GET ANY BEAT COUNTER
LEARN TO BEAT MATCH BY HEARING
DJ Kibon
Sorry, I have to chime in as well. Even as a learning tool, don't even look at using beatcounters of any kind. Better to do things the hard way. I still have the BPM counters on my Behringer mixer taped over with black electrical tape.

Something else to keep in mind - BPM counters are very frequently wrong.
basd
And not only are they wrong many times, another problem is that quite a few only give the BPM in rounded numbers. Which is utter e and useless.

In that way, you would still have to rely on your hearing to be able to beatmatch, and in that case, why even buy 'em.

How precise are these ones by the way?
tdurden
quote:
Originally posted by basd
And not only are they wrong many times, another problem is that quite a few only give the BPM in rounded numbers. Which is utter e and useless.

In that way, you would still have to rely on your hearing to be able to beatmatch, and in that case, why even buy 'em.

How precise are these ones by the way?

All valid points, especially if they're not accurate. Rounded number readouts?! What kind of nonsense is that? That's like have a speedometer in your car that only displays 10 mph/kph increments. The cops around here would be handing out tickets like baseball cards.

I believe we have a consensus here. Everyone, thanks for the input!
rxt
yah, like everyone said dont buy a beat counter... seriously, theres no way you can use a beat counter as a learning tool.

if you are interested about the BPM that some of your tracks uses manually count the beats yourself, or, if you are lazy, plug your mixer into your computer and download an app that has beat counting...

however, dont use it to mix... ever
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement