return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

speaker/amp/audio question
View this Thread in Original format
Localsky
This question might be me being paranoid but I will ask it anyway. I bought monitor speakers and an amp like two months ago. Lately, I started to notice that I have to turn the amp up louder than I used to have to when I first got them. Is this because I am abusing the speakers and they are becoming worn down? Also, I have started to notice a buzzing noise when they are not playing music. Is this also another sign of abuse? Thanks, hope these questions are not stupid.
DJ Chrono
Speakers don't become worn down like that. I have a pair of 25 year old speakers and they play fine, the only problem is the foam around the driver started to crack because of its age.

If you are noticing volume changes, and a buzzing, it could be your amp. You should try hooking up another pair of speakers, and see if the buzzing still happens.
Localsky
should speakers slightly buzz when the amp is on but they are not being played?
Nemesis44
Do you have decks plugged in to the amp? If the answer is yes, perhaps you have an earth problem. Without knowing exactly what you have going through the amp it's hard to say.

Cheers
Nem
DJ Chrono
quote:
Originally posted by Localsky
should speakers slightly buzz when the amp is on but they are not being played?

they should only buzz if the volume is turned waaay up, or it could be your source. If your signal is from a cheap soundcard or something, then yes there could definately be an audible buzz at a reasonable volume level. If it's from your mixer, then Im not too sure.
Localsky
I have cdj's plugged into my mixer and then my mixer plugged into my amp. And no the volume does not have to be turned up very loud for the speakers to give off a buzz or hum. It is strange because the speakers did not used to do this.
Localsky
also nothing is cheap. all the wires are high quality.
DJ Chrono
alright, so it definately sounds like a problem with either the amp or the speakers (or possibly the mixer).

So if you can, use another amp and see if the speakers still make the buzz. If they don't, then it was the amp with a problem.

If they still buzz, then try hooking up another pair of speakers to the amp, and if the buzz doesnt happen on the second pair of speakers, then you know the problem was with them.

If you still hear buzzing after both, its probably the mixer.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement