return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Digitly Remastering Very Old Cassettes
View this Thread in Original format
richwms
A friend of mine gave a me a cassette so that i can put on CD for him, the cassette was recorded live in a hall from a what sounds like a cassett deck, the background noise is loud and the hiss is VERY EXTREEME im finding it very hard to edit out the hiss and noise without wreaking the music, i cant seem to get the noise reduction Plug-In to work in Sound Forge 6 but i have Col Edit Pro. Im finding it very difficult. can anyone help me out? give me some tips?

i know these kinda questions have been asked before here but i couldnt find anything i wanted to know.

Please Help
Regards Rich
Dj Thy
Well, with noise reduction you'll always lose some info of the sound you want to keep too, no matter what. This is even more true if the noise is strongly present.

Is there a part on the cassette with only the noise, and nothing else. The best noise reduction plugins (except maybe CEDAR, but that's another league) use noise footprints to work. I believe cool edit had such a noise reduction plugin too (Waves X series plugins are great too). For that, all you need is a part of the recording which has only noise. You select that part, and tell the plugin it should take that noise as footprint. With that, the plugin will know which part it has to concentrate to reduce it more effectively (instead of doing generic broadband reduction). Then it's just a matter of adjusting tresholds to get the best compromise, cuz I repeat, you'll always lose info.
richwms
thanks for the info, a lot of the cassette has just the noise and nothing else, its just no matter what i do it always seems to sound wrong after editing.

can you give me more info on the plug-ins? where i can get them and so on, best programs for the job.....

i think cool edit is probably the best but what plugins are there for it?

regards
Rich
Dj Thy
Ah, that, I am sorry to say, still follows the basic rule in audio. You get what you pay. Of course, I won't have to tell you that if looking well, you can always find stuff for free. But for understandable reasons, I won't tell where.

Cool Edit uses DirectX as plugin systems, so that is what you will be looking for.

Some of the best come from Waves, but they cost a lot... For noise reduction, you'd need the restoration bundle.
Diamondcut live are a decent pack also.

Voxengo has an excellent one with Redunoise, but as far as I know, it's VST only.

The best I know has to be CEDAR. But that one comes with a dedicated system, with a hardware controller and DSP's. But when it comes to noise removal, it's the ultimate (imagine they succeeded in removing a chair squeaking in a concert hall, while a violin was playing a solo...).

Try using the internal Cool edit effects first, and tweak the parameters as much as you can. As I haven't worked a long time with CEP anymore, I can't really remember the exact names of the processing effects. Should be something as denoiser or noise removal.
Basically, like I said, it's making a compromise.
richwms
You are right :D Its the fact that im not experience in this field so i dont really know what to do properly. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Here is the Noise Reduction Plug-In for SoundForge. Can Anyone give me a detailed explination or tips on how to use it?

Picture 1

Picture 2
richwms
I tried showing them on this but for some reason everytime i was using [IMG] it was only showing the link not the actual picture so sorry for those who cant be arsed clicking on the link :p :D
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement