return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

If you own a website wich offers audio/video downloads, you going to be sued
View this Thread in Original format
hardstyle
"If you own a website that offers any audio/video downloads, you could be sued!!!
Austin, TX - (November 17, 2003). Thousands of website owners across the world have found FINAL NOTICES in their mailboxes from a company called, Acacia Media Technologies Corporation (http://www.acaciaresearch.com) which is located in Newport Beach, California. In the letter, Robert A. Berman, Sr. VP of Business Development and General Counsel for Acacia, claims that his company owns five U.S. Patents (Patents Nos. 5,132,992; 5,235,275; 5,550,863; 6,002,720; 6,144,702) and 17 International Patents covering the transmission and receipt of audio/video content via the Internet. He warns webmasters: "You provide access to digital audio/video content via your website(s) without a license from Acacia, and are therefore liable to Acacia for patent infringement."

Acacia wants a royalty from everyone who has a website on the Internet, who are in violation of their alleged patent infringement by offering audio/videol downloads. Berman is giving websites until November 30, 2003 to pay a minimum of $1,500/year for a license or be sued in court for back royalties or be ordered to shut down their website.

Many people thought the letter was a joke, so they disregarded it. Some had received earlier sent "information packets" and found themselves sued by Acacia in the state of California. Others have found themselves making a business decision to pay the royalties and hand over their yearly sales records in order to get a license from Acacia (Acacia's licensing is based on GROSS revenue). "

http://www.boycott-riaa.com/article/9923
DJ Mil0
Mwhahahah i am in the brazilian jungel (welll not really) THEY WILL NEVER FIND ME NEVER!!!!! mwhaha now onto my plan to take over the world through streaming audio/video MWHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA
TeKnoHe@d2025
I'll let Swamper confirm this one, before I can believe it...
ahlamalek
they can ing suck my balls :)

govts will be the first to bring this down.
Chris d(-_-)b
Seriously, if that would be true, probably 50 percent of all webmasters would have to pay. It would be just impossible to find and controll all sites on the net that provide somekind of video or audio .
KilldaDJ
great...another RIAA but in texas...
mndeg
rofl invest in that company, they theroetically could be billionaires overnight
torontotrance
I wonder what the courts would say tho because you have a patent over something but if it is not clear then the courts would throw it out. What about realplayer and msn player, they both host files for audio and video and the company never tried to sue either. It can be said that suing Microsoft is not easy but I bet the company is going after the small fishes, just throwing their patent around like it is a joke. If they were really serious, would they take on the bigger sites and bigger companies? I doubt it
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement