return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Dvd-r / Dvd+r
View this Thread in Original format
RenderedDream
I'm about to archive my entire music, documents, and etc into dvd discs..
i've been investigating and it seems DVD+R beats DVD-R in every aspect except the price of the media..
what you guys think about this?
cycloptor
well, considering that i sell both.... i have no idea what youre talking about. +r cannot hold more media. the only advantage is that HP (who own the +R rights) claim that it is compatible with more DVD players than -R is. that being said, who gives a flying e. unless you want to use it to make movies get whatever is cheap. i suggest going for a dual format drive just to be safe. but if you were smart you woud get something that supports dvd ram. as that format is double sided and will hold a lot more than a + - disk....
RenderedDream
i didn't say that dvd+r could hold more media, i said that its media has a bigger price than the dvd-r format
sure i will buy a dual recorder, but i still need to choose a format to burn (right?) and consider the technologies of both
technologically speaking, dvd+r has better structure meaning better archiving but compatibility may not be so wide
normal dvd players will play both formats right?
cycloptor
sorry if i came off as a bit of a prick. was tired last night.

dvd players should support both types of media yes. but HP does claim that +r is more compatible with players than -r is.

but if it is strictly for archiving music than try dvd ram. lots more room, but a pain in the bum at times to find media for it.... although having said that. 4gigs on a disk should be plenty.
RenderedDream
i'm not very familiar with the ram format, what is it's capacity? and do i need a special recorder for it?
Rhythm
the dvd-ram can be rewritten about 100,000 times before it becomes useless, whereas the other RWs can be rewritten about 1000 times, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement