return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

ASA (aspirin)
View this Thread in Original format
Turbonium
Can anyone explain this? In the synthesis of ASA (like in a high school chem lab environment), I have lots of phenol (salicylic acid) impurities in my crude AND pure ASA products. This is odd, because from the very start, salicylic acid was my limiting reagent.
Dmatrox
over time, acetyl salicylic acid will form back into some salicyclic acid thats vinegary. I remember doing this in lab, i think its because of the equilibruim or something?
Boomer187
I farted on a bunsen burner once.

good news is, I have no hair down there to get all shwetty

bad news, the chem lab has an eternal stench in it now.
Turbonium
"Aspirin passes through the stomach unchanged, but is absorbed in the intestines. SUggest how your data might support this."

wtf? any ideas?
Dmatrox
its not absorbed by the stomach. theres a layer on the pill. The reason why they dont make it so your stomach doesn't absorb it is because it can cause bleeding of the stomach (ulcer), so it gets absorbed in the intestine i guess. meh i dunno if im on the right track
Turbonium
yea ok i'm missing the obvious, thanks (i thought it measnt pure ASA, not the pill).

ok, this is part of a test for purity of your ASA mixture (putting an Fe3+ solution with your product). Found this on the net, showing how it points out that there are phenols... it forms this compound, which you see as purple:

I'm supposed to explain why it attaches to that O of the functional group. Any thoughts?
Dmatrox
er i dunno man, check the internet ;) and your pm

sorry, im not really of any help with this stuff
Turbonium
k thanx

here's whats left...

3. Using intermolecular forces and VSEPR theory, explain why aspirin is slightly soluble in water and very soluble in cyclohexane.
5. Give the hybridization of carbon in the benzene structure and the carbonyl group in aspirin.
6. Will KMnO4 oxidize ASA. Hint: look at the OH group on the carbonyl functional group and explain why.why not the KMnO4 will or will not oxidize the OH group.
7. Salicylic acid reats with KMnO4. Write a blanced chemical eqn, and give the IUPAC name for the products.
8. If you had to take an educated guess would the standard cell potential of question 7 be positive or negative? explain.

This blows as you can see.

btw I got backstabbed by my "buddies" in chem class, which is why I'm so screwed. So yea, if you guys can help, go ahead. No one probably will tho, but it was worth a shot.
Turbonium
Ok wait, i'm getting most of these.

Please, if possible, someone do this one:

Give the hybridization of carbon in the benzene structure and the carbonyl group in aspirin.

Sounds easy, I'm just not in hybridization mode atm.
Dmatrox
quote:
Originally posted by Turbonium
Ok wait, i'm getting most of these.

Please, if possible, someone do this one:

Give the hybridization of carbon in the benzene structure and the carbonyl group in aspirin.

Sounds easy, I'm just not in hybridization mode atm.

http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Chemist...rin/aspirin.htm

looking at the aspirin molecule, it looks like you got a carboxylic acid and an ester

I think benzene is sp2
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement