return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Inventor of Ctrl-Alt-Delete Combo Is Retiring From IBM
View this Thread in Original format
imokruok
The comment to Bill Gates is pretty good...

quote:

RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C. (AP) - The man who spent five minutes writing the computer code that would bail out the world's PC users for decades is retiring Friday.

David Bradley programmed one of the most well-known key combinations around: Ctrl-Alt-Delete. It forces obstinate computers to restart when they no longer follow other commands.

Bradley, 55, is leaving IBM Corp. after 28 1/2 years.

By 1980, Bradley was one of 12 people working to create the IBM PC. The engineers knew they had to design a simple way to restart the computer should it fail. Bradley wrote the code to make it work.

"I didn't know it was going to be a cultural icon," Bradley said. "I did a lot of other things than Ctrl-Alt-Delete, but I'm famous for that one."

His fame depends on the failures of others.

At a 20-year celebration for the IBM PC, Bradley was on a panel with Microsoft Corp. founder Bill Gates and other tech icons. The discussion turned to the keys.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous," Bradley said.

Gates didn't laugh. The key combination also is used when Microsoft's Windows operating system fails.

Bradley, who will continue teaching at North Carolina State University after retirement, was once mentioned as a clue in the TV game show "Jeopardy."

"After having been the answer on final 'Jeopardy,' if I can be a clue in The New York Times' Sunday crossword puzzle, I will have met all my life's goals," Bradley said.

AP-ES-01-29-04 1126EST
DarkAngel
Interesting stuff. Learned something new today!
Harmonic
quote:

:stongue: :stongue: That's good stuff.
getfoul
quote:
At a 20-year celebration for the IBM PC, Bradley was on a panel with Microsoft Corp. founder Bill Gates and other tech icons. The discussion turned to the keys.

Gates didn't laugh. The key combination also is used when Microsoft's Windows operating system fails.

:stongue: that was great.
imokruok
This calls for a song! Ok everyone, time to sing the IBM corporate anthem!

Ever Onward, IBM
igottaknow
its a dubious distinction that I'm not sure I'd want to be remembered for.:nervous:
{b.s.e.}
better than Stalin. :thepirate
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement