return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

98 to XP (2)
View this Thread in Original format
meneedit
Hi,

not long ago I posted a thread about how I recently switched from 98 to XP and the troubles I was having with XP.

Well, now I have a new version of XP and Most of the problems are gone but there are still a few things annoying the hell out of me....

I realise that this might not be anything to do with XP but I have a
"Sound Blaster Live" and everything is OK with it except for one thing. When I have a wave editing program open (e.g. Cool Edit) and I am recording silence, it seems to pick up noise. At first you can't hear this noise, until you Increase the volume by about "10-Db" 3 times. After doing this it is loud enough to reveal what type of noise it was picking up.... white noise!

So anyway, when I was running 98 I had the same problem except the noise that it recorded sounded more like a very quiet rapidly chopped up sine wave. EVERY SINGLE time I wanted to record something I had to sample the noise and use "noise reduction" to remove it!!! It was such a pain in the ass!

Now, getting back to XP....

I would have to say that it is worse now.
It might not be a sine wave noise anymore but the problem is still present. Not only that but I also noticed that with recorded sounds when the volume peaks it gets distorted.
(and, yes, the volume is way below clipping level)

So If I want to continue making music I really need to fix this problem!!!

please help!

I'm lost!!!

======================================================================

Another thing that I am having trouble with since changing to XP is Smartripper.

It used to read DVDs no worries but the other day I tried it out on XP for the first time and it said

Error: no ASPI access to this drive

after reading the PDF file that comes with "Virtual Dub Pack" I read that to fix this you just simply get a DVD-playing program to read the DVD for Smartripper to be able to read it. So I did that and it found all the VOB's perfectly.

Ahhh... everything was lookin' nice and happy until I went to 'rip' from the DVD.

for some stupid-ass reason the "start" tab wont appear when I select a part to rip. Although I have no idea what ASPI is, I get the feeling that it still has something to do with that.

I downloaded some sort of ASPI driver.... is that what i was supposed to do?

please help!

I'm lost with this one too!!!

As for that problem goes where I couldn't remove recent documents from the start menu, well thats just because I had the start menu on classic setting. I now realise that the only way to remove recent documents is to have the chunky start menu :(

smokeape
I've had more problems with XP than any of the other windows platforms. I mean, after all, it's just supposed to be an eye glaze operating system to allow you to launch software and programs off of. Bill Gates and company apparently want the Windows experience as something more, like the faggy looking icons, animated characters and other bull that pop up to "amuse" you while you perform routine functions. I'm afraid to see what Windows 2004 has in store, but I'll have to get it anyway to take advantage of the 64-bit file system they are harping about. BTW, AMD really got f*cked by launching their AMD 64 before Win 04 hit the street. Intel must have better intelligence and are keeping their chip on the shelf until the time is ripe.
;)
[[[smoke]]]
meneedit
so you agree that 98 se. was probably the best OS?
KilldaDJ
from what ive heard 2000 professional is the best windows platform

xp is merely 2000 pro with a nice interface and go faster stripes.
meneedit
spose so.

By the way I am still wondering about all that stuff I asked.
biznology
i have 2k on disc and i shoulda upgraded, but since 98 hasnt failed me i still use it. plus i dun wanna lose all my mp3s|
meneedit
quote:
Originally posted by meneedit
spose so.

By the way I am still wondering about all that stuff I asked.

seriously can you guys help out?
igottaknow
I have a similar sound problem, i hear static electric distortion when i play music after an hour and it tends to get worse in winter. While i suspected the build up of static electricity to be the cause of the problem I had no idea how to fix it until someone suggested inserting cardboard washers between the mobo and case, preventing the flow of static electricity. While I've been too lazy to tear apart my pc you could give it shot.
Ste
i upgraded from 98 to XP recently, and i had serious issues when i tried to install my own sound card drivers and software.

infact, i completly lost sound, couldnt change back to the old setting and uninstalling the software didnt work either.

XP doesnt really like outside drivers but seems to work fine with its own drivers for me.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement