return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

University of Pennsylvania/Philly and the TRANCE scene
View this Thread in Original format
vishous5
hey, i'll be attending the University of Pennsylvania (aka UPenn, not penn state) and i was wondering if anyone on this board goes there or knows anything about the trance scene at UPenn or Philadelphia for that matter.

Any good trance/electronic music clubs in Philly i should check out?

thanks in advance!
Tranceporter99
there should be an EDM party soon(spring) at UVA(charlottesville, virginia) pretty soon, ill keep you updated
arctic
Once again, wouldn't this be bettter suited to the US forum?
Galapidate
man, just gotta say congrats to getting into UPenn! I hear nowadays it's almost impossible to get into unless you're a legacy, but good job man! :)
vishous5
yo thanks man, yeah i dont got any legacy but i dont think its that hard to get in, i guess you just gotta have the right stuff.

and i probably won't be able to make it down to that party at UVA but thats a great school and i wish i could make it.
DJ Nuclear
quote:
Originally posted by vishous5
yo thanks man, yeah i dont got any legacy but i dont think its that hard to get in, i guess you just gotta have the right stuff.

and i probably won't be able to make it down to that party at UVA but thats a great school and i wish i could make it.

I used to live around there, so I can help you out a little:

www.bassmentcru.net , go to the forums and then local events
www.bsp.org
http://www.turnagainheights.com/
http://www.ravegear.com/ , but their parties are usually e

Most of the parties/clubs are small in philly, and it's a very localized atmosphere. You'll probably need to head to DC to see bigger names. The DJ's are small name, but often _very_ talented.

DC parties: www.buzzlife.com
TuanAnh213
i have a friend who goes to upenn, and he sometimes makes a two hour trip up to Glow in DC for his clubbing experience...long ride but worth it according to him
smokeape
UPenn? That's up north of the Mason Dixon ain't it?

:whip:
Lol!
[[[smoke]]]

TeKnoHe@d2025
quote:
Originally posted by smokeape
UPenn? That's up north of the Mason Dixon ain't it?

FFS, drop it already! The Civil War was fought over 100 years ago.:p
CynepMeH
Philly's trance scene is nothing to write home about. We got couple of clubs like: Transit, Shampoo and Envy. All are in Society Hill - Envy: 2nd and Market, Shampoo 4th and Cherry (I think) and Transit - 4th and Spring Garden. All clubs are few train stops away from UPenn or about 10 minutes cab ride away. Sometimes, Transit has some cool events but due to Philly's early shutdown laws, rarely does a party go past 3am. If you're looking for serious parties - look to NYC. There are some good parties happening in Transit, once in a while - we had Lisa Lashes, Deep Dish, Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, Jonathan Peters, to name a few in Transit. Whenever a "big name" DJ spins in Transit, it gets tighter than gnat's ass and ticket prices are outrageous. PVD tix were going for $50 at the door!

Glow in DC is closed until further notice and it's also 2.5 - 3 hours away by car. Nation in DC is , unless you're into Goth or Dark Trance/Techno/Deep Prog. Rarely does it get a good party.

But on the bright side, you're walking distance away from 30th street station, where you hop a train and step out on Penn Station in Manhattan. There, you're only 10 minutes cab ride away from clubs like Roxy, Avalon, and Arc. Figure trip from door to door is about 2 hours (if you make the scheduled train). If you will have a car, you're only 1.5 hours away from NYC. Welcome to the city that doesn't have any winning sports team!

If you want a decent place to hang around - South Street between 7th and Front Street - like tiny Greenwich Village. Mardi Gras is comming up soon - expect plenty of drunk morons pissing on people's doorsteps and cars plus Philly PD will probably spoil all the fun anyway. They almost had a riot 3 years ago and sincd that time they really went medival on reveler's asses.

If you're shopping for records - check out 611 records, home of Nigel Richards and Diesel Boy. They got awesome selection of 12 inchers and sweet selection of White Labels. They are located on 4th and South.

Besides, shouldn't you be studying in Penn? I hear the schedule is intense, most people are lucky if they get 5 hours of sleep each night.

you may want to check out www.phillyatnight.com or www.campusphilly.com.

If you're looking for a great restaurant (and have the money) check out Pod (right in Univesity City) or Budokan (same owner) on 4th and Chestnut - only 32 blocks away ;)

Either way, have phun and if you do have a car, don't leave any valuables in it at night, don't walk around alone, and don't venture too far towards the streets with incrementing numbers past 36th street.

If you need more suggestions around town, PM me.

C ya!

vishous5
quote:
Originally posted by CynepMeH
Philly's trance scene is nothing to write home about. We got couple of clubs like: Transit, Shampoo and Envy. All are in Society Hill - Envy: 2nd and Market, Shampoo 4th and Cherry (I think) and Transit - 4th and Spring Garden. All clubs are few train stops away from UPenn or about 10 minutes cab ride away. Sometimes, Transit has some cool events but due to Philly's early shutdown laws, rarely does a party go past 3am. If you're looking for serious parties - look to NYC. There are some good parties happening in Transit, once in a while - we had Lisa Lashes, Deep Dish, Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, Jonathan Peters, to name a few in Transit. Whenever a "big name" DJ spins in Transit, it gets tighter than gnat's ass and ticket prices are outrageous. PVD tix were going for $50 at the door!

Glow in DC is closed until further notice and it's also 2.5 - 3 hours away by car. Nation in DC is , unless you're into Goth or Dark Trance/Techno/Deep Prog. Rarely does it get a good party.

But on the bright side, you're walking distance away from 30th street station, where you hop a train and step out on Penn Station in Manhattan. There, you're only 10 minutes cab ride away from clubs like Roxy, Avalon, and Arc. Figure trip from door to door is about 2 hours (if you make the scheduled train). If you will have a car, you're only 1.5 hours away from NYC. Welcome to the city that doesn't have any winning sports team!

If you want a decent place to hang around - South Street between 7th and Front Street - like tiny Greenwich Village. Mardi Gras is comming up soon - expect plenty of drunk morons pissing on people's doorsteps and cars plus Philly PD will probably spoil all the fun anyway. They almost had a riot 3 years ago and sincd that time they really went medival on reveler's asses.

If you're shopping for records - check out 611 records, home of Nigel Richards and Diesel Boy. They got awesome selection of 12 inchers and sweet selection of White Labels. They are located on 4th and South.

Besides, shouldn't you be studying in Penn? I hear the schedule is intense, most people are lucky if they get 5 hours of sleep each night.

you may want to check out www.phillyatnight.com or www.campusphilly.com.

If you're looking for a great restaurant (and have the money) check out Pod (right in Univesity City) or Budokan (same owner) on 4th and Chestnut - only 32 blocks away ;)

Either way, have phun and if you do have a car, don't leave any valuables in it at night, don't walk around alone, and don't venture too far towards the streets with incrementing numbers past 36th street.

If you need more suggestions around town, PM me.

C ya!

thanks for all the info/advice man, i'll definitely be using it. and yeah hopefully i do get some time to party and hopefully Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering won't kill me too much. and i hope to find some other people at UPenn who are into EDM.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement