return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Someone Please Help! Water On Equipment!
View this Thread in Original format
trancinchink
i am bugging out.... i just got a new ecler smac pro30 like...3 days ago.... and i just accidentally spilled some water on the right side.... i'm pretty sure a little got in but i tried to dry it up all i could. what should i do.... will this affect the channels and whatnot? i just read the warranty and it said it will not cover accidental damages. i'm freaking out! this was a new mixer too..... please help me out. hopefully there wont be permanent damage.
IKKI-ZUVK
Contact the saler an tell him that the mixer ain't working right, do not tell him what it really happened.
`pr0digy
I'd do what IKKI said, but first, give it a good chance to dry, then see if it works okay. Make sure you let it DRY first thought.
Boomer187
water dries up nicely, it should work fine.

however it is when you spill beer that they get all sticky-icky.

but if anything goes wrong just return it and fail to mention the water thing.
trancinchink
alrite... thanks for the advice. i just let it sit and dry for a while. it mad some crackling noises at first when i used the channel fader but now that sound has gone away. i think its fine now.... phew. thought i destroyed my newest investment.
dukes
i spiled on my decks and got them going again and this is how you fix it.... (will work for any electrical thingy)

open it up and leave it to dry. if you leave it closed it will take ages and it could be hard to tell wether all the liquid has gone and you really dont wanna be turning it on when there is water in it coz thats when the damage is done.

no mater what type of liquid it is you can easily fix it. with sticky liquids they will leave a residue that can still conduct electricity. this needs to be removed using clean warm water and a gentil cloth. if its not a sticky residue liquid then all you need to do is let it dry then wipe with a dry cloth.

since your purchase is brand spanking new then send it back but i would give it a LONG time to dry. it could take as long as a week. and do not open it to speed up the process as this will void warenty.

and one last point DO NOT drink next to your decks it is the cause of more mixer/deck deaths than anything else.
Nemesis44
DJ stuff is usually quite tough so you are probably ok. But it's always worth letting it dry out.

When I play out you would be surprised the amount of you find on the decks and the mixer. I have played in a lot of places where the decks and mixer have actually been sticky and covered in dust, tobacco and all sorts of crap. I don't smoke (period) or drink near the decks and it's pretty good practice not to. It's bad enough having to deal with the other mad stuff DJs do to gear. It's strange the way a record bag with a set of headphones automatically qualifies people as sound or electrical engineers. ;)

Cheers
Nem
dukes
quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis44
It's strange the way a record bag with a set of headphones automatically qualifies people as sound or electrical engineers. ;)

Cheers
Nem

i dont need the headphones...uni covers the electrical engineering part :p :D
[UK]Trancedewdİ
quote:
Originally posted by dukes
i dont need the headphones...uni covers the electrical engineering part :p :D

same here :D

hmm...my flats havin a party on friday...and ill be doin some spinnin, but i really dont want beer or cigarette ashes gettin near my equipment. Just wonderin...if beer or cig ash got in my pitch slider...would that completeley screw up my turntables?
dukes
quote:
Originally posted by [UK]Trancedewdİ
Just wonderin...if beer or cig ash got in my pitch slider...would that completeley screw up my turntables?

beer YES!!!! very very deadly. even more so than water suprisingly enough. if you poured water into a deck that has no electricity flowing through it and then dried it out compleatly would most likely work fine (assuming the water has not cleaned away things like mechanical greese and the likes). beer on the other hand dries leaving a conductive sticky residue which could leave shorts even after it is not in a fully liquid form. if you cleaned the residue away properly and left to dry again then it would probaly work to.

the only time conductive liquids can do damage to electrical equipment is if there is a current flow and even then its not garinted. the water has to short "vunerable" components. as in ones that when shorted in some manner will blow. LED's op-amps capacitors are among a few that can be vunerable. the water could short over a component and still do no damage depending on the type circut parts are being shorted.

another problem that could arise but one im not 100% sure about is the long term effects of liquid etering and touching circuits. if the liquid was to remove/wash off the flux from solder or tracks then it means they are not protected from oxidising (rusting). this will reduce the life expectancy of the conections as once fully rusted it breaks the conection. im not sure how likely this is as i dont know how easy it is for flux to be washed off.

fag ash i supose could do damage but if you manage it i will be impressed (and feel sorry for you) as the chancess are vary slim. ash aint conductive as far as i know. infact i would be willing to bet alot of money it isnt. but it could cause damage in other ways. for example it would not be very healthy for the motor if it somhow managed to get in as this can do damage in many ways. most motors should be fully sealed (i know mine are). infact im not gonna go into any more detail about the possable effects of ash as it is highly unlikely to do damage but still is undesireable. basicly dont use it as an ashtray but downt worry about small amounts landing on it.

trancinchink dry it out and return it even if it fully works as the damage may take a while to take effect. make an excuse like colour or something. i mean what would you want something that is 3 days old and had an accident hence not perfect or a brand spanking new one that has not had any problems?

`pr0digy
quote:
trancinchink dry it out and return it even if it fully works as the damage may take a while to take effect. make an excuse like colour or something. i mean what would you want something that is 3 days old and had an accident hence not perfect or a brand spanking new one that has not had any problems?

agreed.
[UK]Trancedewdİ
quote:
Originally posted by dukes
beer YES!!!! very very deadly. even more so than water suprisingly enough. if you poured water into a deck that has no electricity flowing through it and then dried it out compleatly would most likely work fine (assuming the water has not cleaned away things like mechanical greese and the likes). beer on the other hand dries leaving a conductive sticky residue which could leave shorts even after it is not in a fully liquid form. if you cleaned the residue away properly and left to dry again then it would probaly work to.

the only time conductive liquids can do damage to electrical equipment is if there is a current flow and even then its not garinted. the water has to short "vunerable" components. as in ones that when shorted in some manner will blow. LED's op-amps capacitors are among a few that can be vunerable. the water could short over a component and still do no damage depending on the type circut parts are being shorted.

another problem that could arise but one im not 100% sure about is the long term effects of liquid etering and touching circuits. if the liquid was to remove/wash off the flux from solder or tracks then it means they are not protected from oxidising (rusting). this will reduce the life expectancy of the conections as once fully rusted it breaks the conection. im not sure how likely this is as i dont know how easy it is for flux to be washed off.

fag ash i supose could do damage but if you manage it i will be impressed (and feel sorry for you) as the chancess are vary slim. ash aint conductive as far as i know. infact i would be willing to bet alot of money it isnt. but it could cause damage in other ways. for example it would not be very healthy for the motor if it somhow managed to get in as this can do damage in many ways. most motors should be fully sealed (i know mine are). infact im not gonna go into any more detail about the possable effects of ash as it is highly unlikely to do damage but still is undesireable. basicly dont use it as an ashtray but downt worry about small amounts landing on it.

Cheers for the detailed reply :)
Btw...i dont smoke...its just if other smokers come near me :whip: :p
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement