return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

composing with scales, clarfication needed
View this Thread in Original format
Mossy
Just a quick question, if I am composing a tune using just notes from a scale (any scale, this is hypothetical), will using notes outside of that scale create tension, which can be resolved by reverting back to the scale?
Freak
the technical term is 'accidentals'

if you know what you are doing you can create some awesome mood shifts using them
ezbeats
actually i think the technical term is 'modulation', and if im not mistaken its when you use notes from another scale in your song, like using 2 different scales. but of course the main scale, is the one more used and yes it does seem to create that 'tension' you speak. i dont know any (if there are any) rules or guidelines on modulating to different keys.
check this link out, maybe you can better understand it. if you do, please respon with any more info you learn of it, cause i have been interested in this too for a while;
CLICK HERE FOR LINK

GOOD LUCK
MrCowski
No, accidentals is correct.

Modulation is shifting the key to something related, like going up a fifth or going to the relative major/minor.
kate
When you say that you're making a song with a certain scale, what you want to be saying is that it's in a certain key. Each scale has a key name and each key has specific notes that belong to it.

It is very possible to use notes that do not belong to that key, and yes, they will cause a dissonance, or 'tension', but often that's what makes a song sound good and less of a run-of-the-mill, everyday melody. By reverting back to the notes in your initial key, it will resolve the dissonance, which is what most great pieces of music do.

It isn't necessary to stick to one key in a song though. Some people posted about modulation, and a lot of the time you do want to use keys that are related by either the subdominant (4th degree of the initial scale) or dominant (5th). But then we start getting into cadences, so nevermind.

Just do what you think sounds good, and I believe that the 'tension' is definitely a good thing.
alanzo
quote:
Originally posted by kate
When you say that you're making a song with a certain scale, what you want to be saying is that it's in a certain key. Each scale has a key name and each key has specific notes that belong to it.

It is very possible to use notes that do not belong to that key, and yes, they will cause a dissonance, or 'tension', but often that's what makes a song sound good and less of a run-of-the-mill, everyday melody. By reverting back to the notes in your initial key, it will resolve the dissonance, which is what most great pieces of music do.

It isn't necessary to stick to one key in a song though. Some people posted about modulation, and a lot of the time you do want to use keys that are related by either the subdominant (4th degree of the initial scale) or dominant (5th). But then we start getting into cadences, so nevermind.

Just do what you think sounds good, and I believe that the 'tension' is definitely a good thing.

damnit.. I need to take some better theory classes..
dj-sean
Kate has 18 years of Orchestral violin under her belt, in addition to another 6+ of piano. Don't feel bad if you don't know nearly as much as she does, hehe. I'm glad that I have her here as my musical encyclopedia =P
alanzo
oh she's one of thooose.. hopefully I can learn as much as she knows in 3 years of music theory :D
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement