return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

EQ-ing?
View this Thread in Original format
dj sneek
Hello all.

I've been bedroom djing for a year or so now, and have noticed that i'm having trouble keeping my master level in the green during mixes.

Basically it's a case of when a mix SOUNDS good, i'm peaking too high, but if I try swapping basslines, the outgoing tune sounds washed out. Whenever I go clubbing I do try and get a look at what the dj is up to, and one thing I notice is that they're all over all the eq knobs in the mix, and I can't seem to work out what they're up to.

By the way, I use a PCV-275. Any help or advice much appreciated, especially as i am looking to start playing out soon!
`pr0digy
just turn down the gains ?
raaven
well any club should have a compressor/limiter so depending on how it's set up it the dj can be all the way in the red.

it takes a bit to get used to without a compressor/limiter just have to learn how the sounds work together and overlap. it's better that way anyway. it'll teach ya how to mix more smoothly.

:)
Koolaid
When you're bringing up the fader on the new track, bring the fader on the old down slightly. If you have individual eq's...slowly drop the outgoing bass as the new one takes over.
Keeping the output volume the same...takes practise...but soon your mixes will sound smooth and tight.

Good luck! :)
DeZmA
quote:
Originally posted by Koolaid
When you're bringing up the fader on the new track, bring the fader on the old down slightly. If you have individual eq's...slowly drop the outgoing bass as the new one takes over.
Keeping the output volume the same...takes practise...but soon your mixes will sound smooth and tight.

Good luck! :)

Assuming he spins trance this is a good idea but you'd fail as a techno dj tho unless your name is michel de hey (but well I think he spins boring as hell) :happy2:
Koolaid
good thing this is Trance Addict and not Techno Addict then huh....
dj sneek
Cheers guys... but from what your saying, I guess i'm not doing too much wrong with the mixer. It's just a case of being as organic and flexible with the eq's and line faders as possible, whilst bearing in mind that each tune has different characteristics that can be highlighted or dampened in the mix.

I used to drop the outgoing track fader slightly , but realised that it sounded slightly odd...

By the way I mix Trance AND Techno...:) :p :cool: :D :D :D ;)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement