return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Vinyl Theory 101 for me, a newbie. Help !!!
View this Thread in Original format
SuckUpMySenses
ok, so im new to mixing and am going to ask, im sure a very simple question to you all. I don't know the difference between an LP, Promo, etc etc. or what they even are.
I take it that an LP is a vinyl with all songlistings that are also available on a cd ( 10 - 15 songs on a vinyl) ? I dont know if i have this right. I was also wondering whether or not you can mix with vinyl.. that has numerous songs on it (LP)? I dont know the difference between 7" 12" 9", etc . etc. I know the obvious difference is the size... but can a turntable spin all of these sizes ? So i guess all im saying , is write the most you can about the basics of vinyl.. all sizes .. all symbols (LP), promo, etc. and all types. a1, a2.. are these the different sides, as in cd1 and cd2 of cds? IM SO CONFUSED. :conf: If you are still here reading this, thank you so much ! I'm very new to vinyl... please be patient :D
Floorfiller
Promo

is a PROMOTIONAL pressing of a vinyl. that is copies that are pressed before it has been signed to a label or pressed in order to give to dj's to try out before officially released...

LP

i believe stands for LIMITED PRESS meaning that there is only one track (and remixes of that track) on a vinyl. an example would be say a vinyl had this...

A1: DJ Tiesto - Sparkles (Transa Mix)
B1: DJ Tiesto - Sparkels (Starecase Mix)

same song...different mixes...

EP

i believe stands for EXTENDED PRESS meaning that there is multiple tracks available...example...

B1: DJ Tiesto - Theme From Norjfell (Magik Musik Mix)

two totally different tunes...

If a vinyl has more than one track on it...that's good!!! That just means that you have more to play with. I have this 2x12" vinyl...

A1: Way Out West - The Fall
A2: Way Out West - Intensify Prt 2
A3: Way Out West - Activity
B1: Way Out West - Hypnotise
B2: Way Out West - Sharkhunt

C1: Way Out West - Mindcircus
C2: Way Out West - Stealth
C3: Way Out West - UB Devoid
D1: Way Out West - Call Me
D2: Way Out West - Secret

they are all full versions of the songs. when you get the record you will be able to tell where and when the tracks start by the grooves on the record...

also the number of songs on a vinyl in a way determines the quality of the recording. you will never find trance records that have 10-15 songs on them (maybe some older records from like beetles or something). the most i've seen is like above around 3 or 4 per side.

oh and A refers to the side like you thought. if i say A2...that means the second song on the first side. C and D and sometimes E and F are used when there are multiple records in a pack or like 2x12" or 3x12" or even 4x12"...

the difference between different sizes i.e. 12" 9" 7" is really just how much music you can fit on the record. they will all play on a turntable...12" is just most common because you have more room and hence the quality at which you press the track is better (that's what i was getting at above also in terms of number of tracks per side).
SuckUpMySenses
quote:
Originally posted by Floorfiller
Promo

is a PROMOTIONAL pressing of a vinyl. that is copies that are pressed before it has been signed to a label or pressed in order to give to dj's to try out before officially released...

LP

i believe stands for LIMITED PRESS meaning that there is only one track (and remixes of that track) on a vinyl. an example would be say a vinyl had this...

B1: DJ Tiesto - Sparkels (Starecase Mix)

same song...different mixes...

EP

i believe stands for EXTENDED PRESS meaning that there is multiple tracks available...example...

B1: DJ Tiesto - Theme From Norjfell (Magik Musik Mix)

two totally different tunes...

If a vinyl has more than one track on it...that's good!!! That just means that you have more to play with. I have this 2x12" vinyl...

A1: Way Out West - The Fall
A2: Way Out West - Intensify Prt 2
A3: Way Out West - Activity
B1: Way Out West - Hypnotise
B2: Way Out West - Sharkhunt

C1: Way Out West - Mindcircus
C2: Way Out West - Stealth
C3: Way Out West - UB Devoid
D1: Way Out West - Call Me
D2: Way Out West - Secret

they are all full versions of the songs. when you get the record you will be able to tell where and when the tracks start by the grooves on the record...

also the number of songs on a vinyl in a way determines the quality of the recording. you will never find trance records that have 10-15 songs on them (maybe some older records from like beetles or something). the most i've seen is like above around 3 or 4 per side.

oh and A refers to the side like you thought. if i say A2...that means the second song on the first side. C and D and sometimes E and F are used when there are multiple records in a pack or like 2x12" or 3x12" or even 4x12"...

the difference between different sizes i.e. 12" 9" 7" is really just how much music you can fit on the record. they will all play on a turntable...12" is just most common because you have more room and hence the quality at which you press the track is better (that's what i was getting at above also in terms of number of tracks per side).
thank you so much !!! very good explanations and examples. that answered all of my questions :D
Floorfiller
yeah sure...i hope that all the info was right hehehe...lemme know if you have more questions...:p

oh and sometimes instead of listing something as an A-side and B-side...they might put A and AA...but it makes no difference hehehe...
Floorfiller
quote:
Originally posted by Nou
Actually I think that LP and EP stand for Long Play and Extended Play.

I cant remember the difference right of the top of my head though, both terms are from back in the day though when vinyl was the only medium. Both were commonly used when describing albums.

yeah...i think that you might be right...however...i'm pretty sure about the difference...unless that also goes back into history...that is the difference nowadays...
djeternal2004
ya i think LP does stand for Long Play, as each side consists of a length of time much longer (50 mins for example) than a standard single vinyl (15 mins i think per side)... soz if im mistaken on this one :)
SuckUpMySenses
quote:
Originally posted by Floorfiller
yeah sure...i hope that all the info was right hehehe...lemme know if you have more questions...:p

oh and sometimes instead of listing something as an A-side and B-side...they might put A and AA...but it makes no difference hehehe...
ok, how do i handle the vinyl? i just got a brand new vinyl today, and its so pretty, i dont know where to touch it !! hahahaaa that sounded very ignorant, but its the truth :nervous:
Scav
dont thouch the groove.. hold it in the center or, on the edges :)
Shad0wmaster
You'll have to touch the grooves when you're mixing. Treat your vinyl with some care, but don't be afraid to touch it a lot when you're spinning. In my experience, touching the grooves for short periods of time with relatively clean, non-sticky hands won't really hurt vinyl.
Floorfiller
yeah you're gonna have to probably touch it sometime hehehe...but get some vinyl cleaner and that'll help.

Nemesis44
quote:
Originally posted by djeternal2004
ya i think LP does stand for Long Play, as each side consists of a length of time much longer (50 mins for example) than a standard single vinyl (15 mins i think per side)... soz if im mistaken on this one :)

Yup, it's Long Play.

The old definitions for a 12" single are up to three tracks on a single piece of vinyl.

An EP has to have at least 4 tracks to be considered an EP.

An LP has to have 6 or more tracks. As such you don't get LPs anymore (with a few exceptions)as most LPs consist of about 2 or 3 (sometimes more) 12"es.

The more music you put on a piece of vinyl the more you lower the sound quality. Hence the reason for multiple 12s.

Cheers
Nem
Tranc3
quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis44
Yup, it's Long Play.

The old definitions for a 12" single are up to three tracks on a single piece of vinyl.

An EP has to have at least 4 tracks to be considered an EP.

An LP has to have 6 or more tracks. As such you don't get LPs anymore (with a few exceptions)as most LPs consist of about 2 or 3 (sometimes more) 12"es.

The more music you put on a piece of vinyl the more you lower the sound quality. Hence the reason for multiple 12s.

Cheers
Nem

Damn, Nem beat me to it. Ah well, here's my contribution:

Although Nem's posts are typically rather long-winded, they're usually helpful and always informative. If you plan on taking this any further, don't pass him up.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement