return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pioneer DJM-500 Mixer effect, and buttons
View this Thread in Original format
PVD fanatic
Can anyone give me a detailed review on what exactly what the effects are used for? What there supposed to do? and how you are supposed to use them properly?

and does anyone have this problem... when mixing from one record to another using the fader... as i fade in the next record... it always seems the record that i am fading in...tends to be louder than the one playing as i fade in ... kinda making it obvious i'm fading in ... do uknow what i'm saying ? even though the gain and master volume and everythign is the same....

also, what are the fader start switches exactly ?

Thanks for taking the time out...
dukes
quote:
Originally posted by PVD fanatic
even though the gain and master volume and everythign is the same....

records have diferant volume levels cut into them. if you took one record put it on a deck and played it it would have a volume of a set level take it off put on another and its volume will be differant.

basicly diferant records will play at diferant volumes hence the reason you have to tweak the gains before and during mixing.
PVD fanatic
quote:
records have diferant volume levels cut into them. if you took one record put it on a deck and played it it would have a volume of a set level take it off put on another and its volume will be differant.

let me ask you this, how are u supposed to know the true volume of the record, if one is blaring from the speakers, and your listening to one through your headphone... ??? U know what I mean ? Like you wont be able to hear the volume cut in that record, until your mixing right ???

Thanks for the reply, it's been most helpful.
ezbeats
-
quote:
let me ask you this, how are u supposed to know the true volume of the record, if one is blaring from the speakers, and your listening to one through your headphone...

try to not listen to the main speakers, try to just use your headphones for both, either split into mono (left one channel, right the other) or in stereo, they will be much more accurate, and eventually will make your mixing 100% easier.

well, the 'best' way is to just listen to them playing in your headphones and adjust the gain on each to make them the same loudness. but some mixers have features that can assist you in doing this, with led lights. i use a djm600. the lights on each channel (on the left of the eq knobs) that flash upwards from green to red, make them hit the same height and thats USUALLY pretty close in volume, but like i said it never hurts to give it a double check with your ears.
also when checking volumes, i have found it better to check the volume levels at the mid part of the song. if you are checking the volume levels on a break, intro, or outro there will be instruments missing and certain instruments wont be at their loudest, so if you were to check only on the intro, when the actual song got going it would sound noticably louder.
the effects.... i havent gotten all of them down. here is any use of what i know;
filter - sometimes ill put it on a '16' loop meaning it goes out in 8 counts and comes back in 8, then right before i make a transition to another record start the effect 8 counts before your transition and it will fade out with the filter, then turn the channel off when the effect is half way done.
echo - when your incoming track is going to be fully switched when it hits a breakdown, use the echo on the outgoing track right when the break hits and lift the needle(must be done smoothly or you will head a 'click'), the outgoing track will echo out through the incoming tracks break, making it a little more smooth and making the tracks seems a little more together.

those are really the only effect 'tactics' i use, besides just using the effect normally during a mix. i.e. just using the flanger, delay, or echo for some part of a song. just play with them and youll pick up on what effects are best at what times. if anyone else knows any effect tactics id like to hear em too. effects are difficult to use in trance without sounding TOO obvious, with techno, hardhouse, or d'n'b you are a little more free to get down n dirty with the effects at your hearts content. good luck-

EDIT: the fader start switches are for use with cd tables im 99% sure, and ive never used em.
PVD fanatic
ezbeats, thanks so much for the info, greatly appreciated....
veezee
quote:
Originally posted by PVD fanatic
Can anyone give me a detailed review on what exactly what the effects are used for? What there supposed to do? and how you are supposed to use them properly?

and does anyone have this problem... when mixing from one record to another using the fader... as i fade in the next record... it always seems the record that i am fading in...tends to be louder than the one playing as i fade in ... kinda making it obvious i'm fading in ... do uknow what i'm saying ? even though the gain and master volume and everythign is the same....

also, what are the fader start switches exactly ?

Thanks for taking the time out...

on the djm-500/600 , they have a led display for each channel.. while your cueing up one record, you can match the volume levels befobe re you drop it in.. if it is getting louder while you are using the xfader, maybe you need to adjust the curve.. i usually use the middle setting (this is the 3 way switch below the cross fader) .. although i mostly use the channel faders when playing trance or techno..

Also, if it is obvious you are dropping in something, maybe you need some practice on using the eq's (low/mid/highs) .. what genre are you playing?

I don't know exactly what your problems are or wanting to know, but hopefully something above can help you out.. maybe record something and post a sample transition for people to critique for you, i am sure anyone here is willing to help (that can) :)

good luck!
PVD fanatic
i never knew about the LED display.. that seems like it'll help a lot ... thanks so much everyone... all the info has been great...
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement