return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Software vs. hardware!! I need help!
View this Thread in Original format
jayrawk007
I've been Djing for a while, and really wanna start making tracks. I want to make trance, hip hop breakbeat, etc, and dont have much money to spend. The max is $400 on either software or hardware. I guess my question is what can I get for $400 that is quality enough for a beginner(someting better than Ejay) and should I get software or hardware? I wanna do alot of sampling too, so that is one of the most important features that should be choice. Any ideas?
sash
quote:
Originally posted by jayrawk007
I've been Djing for a while, and really wanna start making tracks. I want to make trance, hip hop breakbeat, etc, and dont have much money to spend. The max is $400 on either software or hardware. I guess my question is what can I get for $400 that is quality enough for a beginner(someting better than Ejay) and should I get software or hardware? I wanna do alot of sampling too, so that is one of the most important features that should be choice. Any ideas?

hey, try a quick search in the production forum. http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...p?s=&forumid=48

if you've never produced before, have a play around on some trial software before you invest in anything.
razzi
quote:
Originally posted by sash
if you've never produced before, have a play around on some trial software before you invest in anything.

this is great advice, take it.

one recommendation: sonic foundry ACID.
push used a synth from an ACID cd for the main tune for universal nation.. and he made big bucks.. so i would recommend checking this out..

in the end, regardless of hardware/software.. its the innovative genius inside that will determine part of the success of anything you produce.
Tranc3
Look I've been producing as long as I can remember. In fact I got my first release before I was even born, so it's with some authority that I can tell you this: Forget software, hardware all the way. Nothing even comes remotely close.

Just get yourself a tape recorder, a mic, and use your voice.
KiNeTiC ENeRgY
quote:
Originally posted by Tranc3
Look I've been producing as long as I can remember. In fact I got my first release before I was even born, so it's with some authority that I can tell you this: Forget software, hardware all the way. Nothing even comes remotely close.

Just get yourself a tape recorder, a mic, and use your voice.

um...ok, are you living in the 21st century?? This music is made by computers these days, with the help of *some* hardware, but nowadays its using a laptop with a copy of Reason or Logic, and you can make a killer track, and make a lot of loot. Also you must be really talented if you had a release even before your momma released you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Tranc3
quote:
Originally posted by KiNeTiC ENeRgY
um...ok, are you living in the 21st century?? This music is made by computers these days, with the help of *some* hardware, but nowadays its using a laptop with a copy of Reason or Logic, and you can make a killer track, and make a lot of loot. Also you must be really talented if you had a release even before your momma released you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I guess some people just don't get sarcasm, even if the writting is drenched in it.
jayrawk007
Ok, Well, to get more specific... what can I get with $400 for software that will actually be able to make some descent music? I have a PC, so I cant buy logic.. so is reason the way to go?
dinoXpress
its kinda hard to read sarcasm
Dirk W.
I agree. Using hardware over software is a lot better. Sonic Foundry ACiD though is a good program if you have to go the computer route. I know people who have made some pretty creative and professional sounding stuff through Fruity Loops as well... Just try before you buy. Don't want to get stuck with a triple digit priced piece of crap.
Dirk W.
Then again.... I don't produce anything......

KiNeTiC ENeRgY
quote:
Originally posted by Tranc3
I guess some people just don't get sarcasm, even if the writting is drenched in it.

with another dumb comment like that, I hope you get through life with your looks, if thats you in your avatar. Why don't you contribute to this thread...make yourself useful, if you can. :whip:

I also agree with the above, using both hardware and software will enable you to do it all, so don't just pick one or the other, use a combo hard/software that works best for you, and the type of sound your after.
KiNeTiC ENeRgY
quote:
Originally posted by dinoXpress
its kinda hard to read sarcasm

hehe...
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement