return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Questions about decks, mixers, and techs
View this Thread in Original format
dinoXpress
Ok, im one of those djs, who has little or no cash all the time. i use subtraktor, and own a copy of reason and use them both frequently and i have now decided to use my hard earned dukets on something solid

my current budget is around 600 dollars, could be extended by 100 max.

What the hell should i get. Ive been looking at the numark tt200s, ive heard good things about them, but i have no clue about what mixer to get, plus ill need cables etc.

Also, about techs, they are just so expensive for me. will i be ok with some 200$ dollar decks, or will i be ting myself everyday.

another thing, whats the differnce between all the models of technics? i see all these numbers and letters and am lost to the advantages and disadvantages, plus the pics all look the same.

also, whats the best budget mixer on the market
Dirk W.
I know I am going to get called out on this, but I am right so here it goes.... With Technics, 1200s are silver, 1210s are black. Only difference. The M3D's, M5Gs etc have a reset button for the pitch with no pitch 0 point (a lot better, trust me). M5G's also have a blue strobe and a +/- 16% pitch range along with the normal +/- 8% pitch range. You can skimp and buy something other than Technics, but later on you're going to want better. The cheaper ones will have bad start/stop times (no big deal), but they will have a harder time keeping up with adjustments and so forth. You'll want something more later on. If you're looking for a quality mixer to get started with, I am selling a Vestax PMC-03A in mint condition. If you're interested we will work out the price. Hope this helps a little bit.
dinoXpress
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk W.
I know I am going to get called out on this, but I am right so here it goes.... With Technics, 1200s are silver, 1210s are black. Only difference. The M3D's, M5Gs etc have a reset button for the pitch with no pitch 0 point (a lot better, trust me). M5G's also have a blue strobe and a +/- 16% pitch range along with the normal +/- 8% pitch range. You can skimp and buy something other than Technics, but later on you're going to want better. The cheaper ones will have bad start/stop times (no big deal), but they will have a harder time keeping up with adjustments and so forth. You'll want something more later on. If you're looking for a quality mixer to get started with, I am selling a Vestax PMC-03A in mint condition. If you're interested we will work out the price. Hope this helps a little bit.

is the reset button worth the dough?

edit: im not really interested in a scratch type mixer but thanks for the offer.
Dirk W.
No, I wasn't saying the reset button was worth the dough. Nothing like that.... Just saying that it is better since it doesn't have the annoying 0 point notch on the pitch adjust. The money comes into play when talking about durability and motor strength. You can get by with something cheaper. Plenty of people do....

Yea, the PMC-03A is hailed as a scratch mixer, but I have recorded two mixes with it of just trance. They're a little edgey because there are only the high and low EQs and I used them rather quickly in the transistions. It's still a great mixer for electronic in my opinion though
KiNeTiC ENeRgY
I think the only difference with the MK5 vs. M3D is the MK5 has an anti-skate adjustment of 6, where its only 3 with the M3D. That is a totally useless upgrade for a DJ, cause you won't use anti-skate anyways. I do prefer the M3D/MK5 over the MK2 due to the better and clickless adjustment at 0. The reset button does not make it better, just the improved pitch adjustment with the M3D/MK5, as stated above. I would not skimp on the mixer or decks, thats what makes or breaks ya. For mid level/newbie mixers, I would recommend the Vestax PCV 275, and for decks, get a set of used M3D's off of ebay, and you'll have a killer setup you'll be proud of.
`pr0digy
I agree with Kinetic for the most part. Try to find used m3d's on eBay, that's your best bet for TT's. For the mixer, not sure that the pcv-275 is really on your budget. Try looking into Numark or Stantons offerings if you need a decent, yet inexpensive mixer.
dartman
the m5gs have a blue led pop up light but the strobe is still red. the m3d and later models have a recessed power switch so that your not as likely to accidently hit it while mixing. i've seen 1200 mk2s and m3ds in black, i dont know about the mk5s or m5gs. when i bought my second mk2, they were the same price as the m3ds. i'm thinking the m3ds are probably the best ones to get for the money. you can get them for $400 ea. brand new. if you're getting used decks then i would say as long as the TTs you're looking at are in good shape all of the models are fine.

my $ .02
Dirk W.
I stand corrected. The strobe is red, the pop-up light blue. I always get that mixed up cause it would make more sense to me that they change the strobe to blue in order to match their LEDs. Oh well...

On a side note: You are wrong on the 1200 vs the 1210. There is only one difference. This difference is color. There is not the European model vs the American model. There is not the voltage level difference or weight difference. It's just the color. Check the stats on Technics website by going through panasonic.com if you don't believe me. This goes for at least the MK2, M3D and the M5G.
dj chex
quote:
On a side note: You are wrong on the 1200 vs the 1210. There is only one difference. This difference is color. There is not the European model vs the American model. There is not the voltage level difference or weight difference. It's just the color. Check the stats on Technics website by going through panasonic.com if you don't believe me. This goes for at least the MK2, M3D and the M5G.

Actually there's a difference. The power supply on the 1210 is a switching one. Underneith the platter there;s a 115/220 switch. Also the area codes in the serial nimber designate the location for where the decks are sold:

(P) USA (1200)
(PC) CANADA (1200)
(E) EUROPE (1200/1210)
(EG) GERMANY
(EB) Great Britain
(GN) Oseania

Otherwise the decks are identical
Dirk W.
Only the European models have a switchable power supply.

dartman
quote:
Only the European models have a switchable power supply.

yeah, 1210s are the european version of the 1200s and back in the day they were the only ones that were black. now you can buy atleast some models of 1200s in silver or black. i have a set of black 1200mk2s.

and i think that it would be really cool if technics would change the color of the strobe to blue to match the pop up lights. its a no brainer
razzi
quote:
Originally posted by dartman
and i think that it would be really cool if technics would change the color of the strobe to blue to match the pop up lights. its a no brainer

definitely.. it looks so stupid to have a blue popup led and a red strobe. then a black deck with ALL blue lights on it would rock so much imo :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement