return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
looking for mixer with this function...
View this Thread in Original format
dcougar99
I play out at a club with a vestax pmc-06proA (not a good trance mixer at all but i got use to it). The only feature I like about it is... when i am mixing the cue track i can have the bass (of the cue) all the way down yet in the headphones the bass is not cut out. This allows me to listen to the bass to make sure its right on the entire way through the mix regardless of how much the low eq is. example... i bring in the highs without much low but i can still hear the bass/low of the cue track in the headpones. This is great for long mixes and i can tweek the cue track speed if needed before i bring in the low even after having the highs mixed in for 30+ seconds. The problem with my current mixer (djx700) is when i have the low eq turned down i can no longer hear the lows of the cue track in the headphones. i begin the mix with the low turned down... half way through the mix i begin turning up the low for the cued track... if the mix is already 30+ seconds in the bass may not be perfect so i can tweek the speed but its already being played through the main speakers and it may be noticable. This makes it a bitch to record a demo cd (mith a lot of long mixes) without any mistakes. I cant find a quality mixer other then the pmc-06proA that has this type of configuration. I looking at the Vestax PCV-275 but i cant get my hands on one to test this out before i purchase. can anyone help me out with info on the PCV-275 or any other mixer that is setup this way? and does anyone else have this same issue... if so how do you deal with it? Thanks for your input!
dj chex
are you saying you don't want to hear eq changes in the cue or do you?
dcougar99
quote:
Originally posted by dj chex
are you saying you don't want to hear eq changes in the cue or do you?

Sorry for any confusion... I do not want to hear eq changes in the phones.
Dirk W.
Apparently he doesn't want to hear the EQ changes. My old PMC-03A mixer did the same thing. Changes on the EQ wouldn't affect the headphones. It makes it a little more tricky, but I really like the DJM-600 now and how I can hear what the EQ changes are in the headphones.... I think with a little more time you will learn to like it too
Ste
argh, i hate it when i can change the eq in the phones! :p
dcougar99
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk W.
Apparently he doesn't want to hear the EQ changes. My old PMC-03A mixer did the same thing. Changes on the EQ wouldn't affect the headphones. It makes it a little more tricky, but I really like the DJM-600 now and how I can hear what the EQ changes are in the headphones.... I think with a little more time you will learn to like it too

my mixers at home have always been like that... but i would much rather the eq's not change in the phones... i hate beat matching with the low eq up and then right before i start the mix turn it down and then fade it up after i begin to mix... the problem comes when mixing for over a minute... when i bring the highs in from the cue for like 45 seconds before i want the lows added... it will just about always need adjusting after that long in the mix but i would rather make the adjustment before bringing in the lows because its less noticeable to the crowd when adjusting with the lows droped or turned down. just my preference. it would be nice to have the option.
Dirk W.
I don't think there is an option. It either does it or doesn't. Most of my transistions are in the minute range. You just have to listen carefully in the headphones. Once you have some highs or mids in the headphones, it is fairly easy to determine what the bassline is doing or if it is on time. Small adjustments can still be made that won't be detected by the audience if you have your game right.... Yes, it is difficult. I am still getting used to it, but 95% of the time, its not a big deal anymore.
dcougar99
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk W.
I don't think there is an option. It either does it or doesn't. Most of my transistions are in the minute range. You just have to listen carefully in the headphones. Once you have some highs or mids in the headphones, it is fairly easy to determine what the bassline is doing or if it is on time. Small adjustments can still be made that won't be detected by the audience if you have your game right.... Yes, it is difficult. I am still getting used to it, but 95% of the time, its not a big deal anymore.

its just a preference of mine. I am not new to any of this... i have have a biweekley sat night residencey for over a year now so its not like I just picked it up or we all know a "im a dj now!!" kinda guy... I just want to find a quality mixer for my home setup that the eq's dont effect the phones. When i play out i also rather have the eq's not effect the phones because its loud and i like to listen to the mix through the monitors and check the bass line via phones. I find it less taxing on me when spinning for 3-4 hours at a time or for recording. I cant be the only one who prefers it this way...?
Dirk W.
Well, trust me. In no way was I implying that you are a fly-by-night DJ. I am sure you could teach me plenty :) Just making generalized comments - nothing referring to you or your level of playing. I have that PMC-03A that I want to sell if you're interested. I will sell it fairly cheap and it's mint. The EQs dont mess with the headphones. That offer is open to everyone by the way....
Revel
not being able to hear EQ changes in the headphones is a nightmare. What if you want to turn the treble up on a track with a weak kick, so u can cue it better? Or hear how the track sounds with different EQ settings before you bring it in?

dcougar99
quote:
Originally posted by Revel
not being able to hear EQ changes in the headphones is a nightmare. What if you want to turn the treble up on a track with a weak kick, so u can cue it better? Or hear how the track sounds with different EQ settings before you bring it in?

as far as the treble question... i guess it all depends on how well you know the track. i never play tracks out before i know them well or at least i know what type of tracks it will go with, both in and out. some songs it is helpful to have the eq settings change in the phones but in most cases for me it doesnt. i would most likely turn up the phones if needed but that shouldnt be a problem if you have good head phones.

second question... again i think it depends on how well you know the track. play with it at home and record everything... then listen to it on the way to work (or else where) and learn what works and what doesnt. store everything you hear in your brain for later use... after you do this enough it comes natural when your playing out.

not sure if this answers your questions but thats just the way I do it... not that any way is right or wrong!
razzi
hmm.. on my mixer the EQs do affect the headphones, and i like it like that. however i think the option of having the EQs not affect the headphones would be nice.

just in case, just for s and giggles
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement