return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
DJ Books...
View this Thread in Original format
Inertia
hey guys... ive seen a few of you throw a couple names around. question is, which of these books are actually good reads? i know reading a book can't make me James Zabiela, just wondering which books you guys found helpful. i've heard marvels of "How To DJ Right" by the same guys who brought us "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life", which i hear is legendary.

on a side note, being a youngster as i am, i have never read Last Night a DJ Saved My Life, and living where i do, i've never come in contact with someone who has, or the actual book for that matter. what is it really about? i was thinking of buying it maybe of amazon, possibly 2 copies, i hear one of my DJ friends raving about how much he wants a copy and his bday is coming up :D
dartman
the How to DJ Right book is very good. tons of good stuff in there. i would def. recommend it.
BeatSMiTH
I dunno man...all that time wasting reading a book could have gone to working on your mixing skills ahah. More practical i think anyways, unless u are TOTALLY lost.
razzi
quote:
Originally posted by BeatSMiTH
I dunno man...all that time wasting reading a book could have gone to working on your mixing skills ahah. More practical i think anyways, unless u are TOTALLY lost.

my thoughts exactly.
jdat
These books can help more then people are willing to admit
TwoPlow
I picked up How To DJ Right before I even had both tables, because it was on sale and I had heard it was a good read. One of the best purchases I have ever made.

It's not going to turn you into James Zabiela, Sasha, or Q-Bert, but it will point you in the right direction. It has a lot of good information on how to handle all of the basics, and a lot of the not-so-basics, of mixing and in the industry as a whole. Even if you already know most of the stuff, it can be helpful. It's pretty funny too, and has cool little interview snippets. I highly recommend getting it.
Koolaid
I read "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life"
Won't teach you how to DJ, but the complete history of the DJ is there, and the DJ's music... House, Trance, Techno, Hip Hop, Reggae, Drum & Bass etc....

I recommend every DJ read this book. We call it "The Bible"
And remember....you can't mix on the crapper, so you might as well read!

Also have "House The Rough Guide"
It's a little pocket book, that is an encyclopedia for House. There is also one for Techno and one for Drum n Bass, but I don't think there is a Trance on...yet???
Ghostface
How To Dj Right, is an excellent book. I got mine from Amazon and it was well worth the purchase imo. :)
Inertia
quote:
Originally posted by jdat
These books can help more then people are willing to admit

DATman!!!! long time no chat dude. hey, ive seen you drop a line or two in this forum, and you seem to know what you speak of, but how come ive never heard a "jdat live @ his bedroom" set? you holding out on me?
jdat
quote:
Originally posted by Inertia
DATman!!!! long time no chat dude. hey, ive seen you drop a line or two in this forum, and you seem to know what you speak of, but how come ive never heard a "jdat live @ his bedroom" set? you holding out on me?

Biotch I have been busy as hell and I'm rarely on msn these days... miss talking to you :(

And well I don't dj anymore because my stuff is stuck back in France but I'm planning on getting some stuff again soon..

And as you know I work with a lot of different djs and clubs here so well ... I guess that explains were I learn a bunch of stuff.

I almost feel like saying stop spamming this forum :P and talk to me online but I'm not around much so that's a little hard :disbelief

Psy-T
last night a dj saved my life is excellent
Psy-T
but i dont think you need that or any other book to spin properly
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement