return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Just got back from the first funeral I've ever gone to...
View this Thread in Original format
Lira
The father of one of my best mates died yesterday night (heart attack) and the funeral was today at noon.

It was a Buddhist ceremony which seemed to be mixed with some Christian traditions (his dad was Japanese and he lived in here Brazil for a long time), making it even more weird for someone who had never attended (is this the right verb?) a funeral, not to mention the date (I didn't believe it at first when I was invited, because it's April's fool after all, but then I realised this is not the sort of thing people would joke about).

I'm slightly disturbed, even though I didn't know his father that much. It's the sort of thing we know will eventually happen (his father was also very old), but always surprises us.

I don't know what my point is, just felt like sharing. Feel free to share your views about this sort of rituals, or your feelings toward death,...

:(
jdat
It's a time of mourning and it is painful that cannot be denied.
My beliefs are that it's best to live with the memory of good times spent with the person then the sadness of seeing them depart from us all.

Hope all will be well for your friend and his family.
EssentialMix3r
Yeah, I agree with Jdat although funerals and losing someone are full of mourning and are painfull, it is def best to rememebr the memories of the person and all the good times.
Omegasox
If he was Buddhist, then he will have felt he was moving on to something greater. No need to mourn such a transformation.
jdat
quote:
Originally posted by Omegasox
If he was Buddhist, then he will have felt he was moving on to something greater. No need to mourn such a transformation.

You sir are the most respect lacking person on this forum.
TranzAddict
quote:
Originally posted by jdat

Umm, he is right though.
if im not mistakened, buddhist believe in rencarnation, meaning someones soul will come back as another lifeform, depending on what your actions of the way of life you had on the previous life..

i might be wrong on some parts but, there you have it
My 2 Cents`
Omegasox
quote:
Originally posted by jdat

I'll just ignore your statement since you have no idea what you're talking about. You obviously know nothing about Buddhism.

Maaz will understand. Please keep this on topic.
jdat
I understand what you're saying totally, the fact of the matter is Maaz is not a Buddhist and he was mourning this so your statements on the fact he should be somewhat joyous about this tragic event have no place here.

Sorry to turn this into a flame war bro Maaz :(
Omegasox
quote:
Originally posted by Lira
Feel free to share your views about this sort of rituals, or your feelings toward death,...

This is the last post I will make, obviously I'm not out to disrespect anyone. I'm "sharing my views" and Maaz may not be Buddhist but he does read about the Tao, so he will understand.
mndeg
um, i think in buddhism the best thing you can be is human, and something bad would be like a dog

Lira
It's alright, John, Omegasox was not being disrespectful: Buddhism is actually the religion I study the most. In fact, the only reason why I don't label myself as Buddhist yet is because I'm still strongly attached to the Catholic culture I grew in (even though I don't consider myself Catholic anymore either), and because I don't want to commit myself to a philosophy/religion just yet, as I don't feel I'm not ready.

I know I never shared my point of view on religion with you, so I reckon there was no way for you to know I'm not a Christian. Thanks for defending me though, really, as I know you had good intention :)

What Omegasox said is true under Buddhist beliefs: death is not a reason for mourn as it's part of a cycle, and this is what disturbed me the most in the ceremony, as I wasn't expecting that sadness. The pain felt by some people was really touching, but (I believe) that's because many of them also share my Catholic background (to naturally mourn in such case, it's the Catholic way to show respect), not to mention the Japanese ceremony also has influence from xintoism, I guess, but I'm completely ignorant about this religion so I'd better not talk about it.

Personally, I felt bad for my friend, as he relied on his father vey much: now life's gonna be really tough for him, and I don't even know how religious he is (this could make things easier - or not - to him in this situation), so I don't know how he will deal with the gap. He knew his father was very old, but I guess he never saw it coming, just like most of us. That's why I said that thing about surprises. He's the one for whom I worry the most right now. He's too shy (nobody knows what he's feeling), and he's got a great heart, but I don't know how he'll cope with it.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement