return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Secondhand Technics - what to look at?
View this Thread in Original format
Con5
Hi
I have decided to buy my first decks as there are a few for sale in the local newspaper. what things should i check out when i go and inspect them. eg) common wear signs and problems.
Thanks,
Con
Dirk W.
Make sure the motor still runs strong by pressing your finger down lightly on the platter and feeling the resistance. Check to make sure the popup lights work and also test the little release button on the popup light to see if it makes the light "pop up". Put the pitch at zero and look at the dots in front of the red strobe to make sure the largest set of dots (in the middle) are staying in exactly one place. If they are moving one direction quickly, slowly or sporadically, this is a sign that it is either not calibrated or the motor is dying. Other than that, just use your judgement when it comes to appearance and cosmetic scratches.
Spin Doctor
In no particular order:
1) Platter – Gently press on the sides of the platter. If you get a lot of movement, then the motor is knackered.
2) Stroboscope – zero the pitch and make sure the platter rotates at a constant rate and the dots don’t wander back and fourth massively.
3) Pitch - slowly move the pitch though it's full range and concentrate on the feel, that there are no bumps, sticky areas, etc.
3) Pitch Zero LED – If the pitch Zero LED is at an odd angle or the plastic around it looks a bit shoddy, it’s a good indication that someone’s opened up the deck to have a poke around. Might not be too much of a problem though.
4) Tonearm – gently wiggle the part where the tone arm is connected to the table. There shouldn’t be no movement, accept from the tone arm it’s self.
5) Ask to hear it play a tune.

Apart from that, there’s not much you can check or look for. Technics are highly reliable though, thus keeping the resale value. The time to worry is if it’s been sold for next to nothing.
Con5
Thanks
now i just have to stop my heart getting in front of my brain when i see them
Psy-T
im also in the market for a used pair of tech's,
so, thanks for the tips, appreciate the help
Prodigy Child
Very good tips.

So yes, do al of the above, but one thing I will add is, turn the platter one, the just turn off the power and then back on, don't stop the platter, just turn it off then on so the motor is still spinning but is starting to slowing down, when it is doing this, watch the dots on the platter and see if they do come to a nice smooth stop gradually, if they slow down a bit all of a suddon, or it is jerky in anyway, don't buy it, cos the motor is screwed
visje
also look at the dots when moving the pitch, they should be going faster whenever u move the pitch further away from the 0 point, also check if this goes in a smooth way and not jerky or anything

have fun with ure techs ;)
GaryLogan
quote:
Originally posted by Spin Doctor
In no particular order:
1) Platter – Gently press on the sides of the platter. If you get a lot of movement, then the motor is knackered.
2) Stroboscope – zero the pitch and make sure the platter rotates at a constant rate and the dots don’t wander back and fourth massively.
3) Pitch - slowly move the pitch though it's full range and concentrate on the feel, that there are no bumps, sticky areas, etc.
3) Pitch Zero LED – If the pitch Zero LED is at an odd angle or the plastic around it looks a bit shoddy, it’s a good indication that someone’s opened up the deck to have a poke around. Might not be too much of a problem though.
4) Tonearm – gently wiggle the part where the tone arm is connected to the table. There shouldn’t be no movement, accept from the tone arm it’s self.
5) Ask to hear it play a tune.

Apart from that, there’s not much you can check or look for. Technics are highly reliable though, thus keeping the resale value. The time to worry is if it’s been sold for next to nothing.

Alright matey,i never knew you were on ere!hows tricks :):crazy:
Spin Doctor
quote:
Originally posted by GaryLogan
Alright matey,i never knew you were on ere!hows tricks :):crazy:

I’ve been here ages – I think longer than on the Jules Board! :o

I’m not bad, yourself?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement