return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Crucial Question Concerning Tone Arm Adjustment
View this Thread in Original format
thicket
Alright. I have been spinning cds for a while now but I am a Noob at spinning vinyl. I just got my technics table today (used on ebay)to add to the cd set up. The problem is I don't know how to play records! Laugh as you must but it is true, I can't get this thing to work. What is happening is that whenever I place the needle on the record the tone arm pulls it dramatically to the outside of the record (off the record really unless I catch the thing). I have tried various combinations with the weight, height, anti-skate but none of them are keeping the needle from pulling off the record. I have an Ortofon Concorde cartridge and needle. Any tips?
Boomer187
eh, try to put your anti skate to zero, and your height to zero.

then twist the weight on the back so that your tone arm just kinda floats there....neither falls down nor flys up. twist the numbers so that 0 is on the line, then twist it to 2.5 er so.

if that doesn't work, sell them to me for $60.
TranceLuver4evr
quote:
Originally posted by Boomer187
if that doesn't work, sell them to me for $60.

I'll raise the bid to $61.......
thicket
Thanks for the advice Boomer but the thing still isn't working. The anti skate is set at zero, the height zero, and the tonearm floating there uselessly. Then, after I get the weight right I increase to 2.5, push that little tone arm lever down, drop the needle and there it goes skating to the outside. You don't think my tone arm is shot do you? Is there supposed to be any click sound when you rotate the skate knob or should you feel any kind of resistance when you adjust the skate to zero or vice versa?
thicket
You guys are sharks! I'm not sellin!
auujay
It sounds like it is shot man. Bummer.
Boomer187
$61.23. final offer....SOLD>

eh, yeah, your tone arm might be ed up, my anti skate doesn't click at all. just glids around.

sounds like....

**warning, I am totally guessing here, so there is a huge chance I am wrong**

the spring or whatever the anti-skate controls popped off er something. From what I know and guess the anti-skate keeps the tone arm from going in too fast, so by adjusting it it loosens or tightens a spring that controls the horizontal movement of the tonearm.

So whatever controls that prolly popped off.

now for applied info. I have no clue how to fix. but I do think you can buy new tone arms for $60 er so online. That also assumes you gots da balls to tear your deck apart and try to fix it. which you could try now and see if you can just fix the antiskating thing.

hope that helps some.
vhx1
First things first, You have to balance your tonearm with the weight and cartridge attached to it. Then, set the weight indicator to zero(The indicator moves independt of the weight.) So now your tonearm shold be perfectly balanced. Now twist the whole counterweight until the indictor points to 2.5 g. Set antiskating setting to zero and set the tonearm height to 5.
vhx1
Its def a prob with the antiskating. you mite have a problem with the antiskate knob or its set all the way to the max. Make sure its set to 0
thicket
Are you guys serious? You really think the ing thing is broken? When you rotate the anti-skate should you see the tone arm move at all? When I rotate the one on my new/used/seemingly broken deck the tone arm move just slightly. Also, I just took the counter weight off the back of the tone arm and the needle doest go flying to the outside but it seems that with the weight off the cartridge is seriously riding the vinyl. Also, I thought I heard that those Orto Concord Cartridges don't require the use of a counter weight. Is this bs?

Inertia
my advice would be to go to your local record/dj shop, make friends with someone who works there that would know (normally the person who orders records knows his , is probably a DJ, even if a bedroom DJ or just a hobby DJ). sometimes, there may even be a DJ inside the shop, spinning (nice little record shop here has a setup inside, where the owner spins sometimes and now the [incredibly hot] dj chick that works there is normally spinning on). anyways, talk to them, ask if you can bring your deck by so they can have a look at it, and tech you how to balance it.

your nearest electronics repair shop will probably check it out, no charge. they normally only charge when work is put in, not just for checking it out, which would take about 3 mins anyways. ive at least been blessed that at all these places there is always cool people willing to help.
Boomer187
quote:
Originally posted by thicket
Are you guys serious? You really think the ing thing is broken? When you rotate the anti-skate should you see the tone arm move at all? When I rotate the one on my new/used/seemingly broken deck the tone arm move just slightly. Also, I just took the counter weight off the back of the tone arm and the needle doest go flying to the outside but it seems that with the weight off the cartridge is seriously riding the vinyl. Also, I thought I heard that those Orto Concord Cartridges don't require the use of a counter weight. Is this bs?

wtf??

alright, you said you set your counterweight so that your tonearm was just floating there....then you increased it about 2.5 right...

as long as you follow those steps your needle shouldn't be flying up or riding your vinyl too hard.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement