return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Finding the key of a track
View this Thread in Original format
ex-dj
So I'm curious, how do you guys who key match find the key of your tracks? Do you just do it by ear? Because I'm not sure my musical talent is honed enough to do that.
I'd really like to start labeling my records with key so I no longer pull out a record, spend the time to beat match it, start to mix it in and then it sounds like arse cuz the melody that just came in is out of key with the outgoing track.
borron
I do a crossover between the results of Mixmeister 5.0, [[ LINK REMOVED ]]
and my own ear.
T:REBEL
It's a learned behavior (classical conditioning-ivan pavlov style).

And then there are some that are born with it...I'm not naming any names.

:tongue2
borron
quote:
Originally posted by T:REBEL
It's a learned behavior (classical conditioning-ivan pavlov style).

And then there are some that are born with it...I'm not naming any names.

:tongue2

Damn you :whip:

It is so hard for me to key a track...
`pr0digy
I don't "key" my tracks so to speak, but I find that I can just "play" the melody in my head and get an idea of wether or not it would go well. Anyone else use this approach ? < at least for now, until I decide to take the time to properly label everything.
Spang
Only way i know is to use a musical instrument to find the key or bassline sound, like a guitar or piano. Go to the point where the bassline changes it sound at the start and thats the key.

Unless you are a musical master, there is no way you could do it by ear because sometimes its a fine line between notes and to be exact you would need a musical instrument.
Ghostface
quote:
Originally posted by `pr0digy
I don't "key" my tracks so to speak, but I find that I can just "play" the melody in my head and get an idea of wether or not it would go well. Anyone else use this approach ? < at least for now, until I decide to take the time to properly label everything.

Yeah that's what i do. As long as you know your tracks well enough it works fine. :)
DJ Kibon
I think that being concious of keys when mixing is much easier if you've had formal musical training.

I don't sit there and listen to tracks thinking "oh, this one is in B Minor", but with a bit of knowledge of my vinyl, I know what won't mix very well together. If keys are clashing, it makes me wince, and I just know that it's wrong...
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement