return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Cueing Help needed with cdj
View this Thread in Original format
CraSHer[UK]
Ive recently aquired a cdj for my setup. Problem is I'm having some trouble with cueing the record up. On my vinyl turntables it was easy for me, just sratch the record over the first beat (or which ever 1 I wanted) and let go at the right time.

Only now i'm finding it much harder. Even when i use the scratchmode (the jog wheel on the frount allows me to do this) I cannot seem to scracth over the beat and let it go when i want coz the cd player seems to wait for the wheel to be stationary agqain before it continues to play.

The jog wheel also allows me to search throgh the track frame by frame when in pause mode, only you have controll over such a small period of time its hard to tell where to release the beat because the sound is obviouslty distored (think turning of the power to your deck with the needle still on and trying to pick the beat up with yout hand moving the platter).

So how do i do it, simply banging the cue button at the desired point when listening through the headphones seems innacurate for me, espeically when pressing play at the right point it never quite seems right for me.

I really hope this gets easier, or i am missing something obvious, coz quite frankly im having no fun with cd's at all.
borron
Play the track until the first beat. When the first beat occurs, press pause or whatever to enter cue mode (frame search). Now search for the beat (rotate the jog wheel counterclockwise) and search the frame just before the first beat frame (beats usually have 3-4 frames). Press cue. You now have a cue point set just before the first beat.
Tiger777
I usually follow the beat-structure and at the first beat of a new bar, I go into CUE mode and I check the beat frame by frame. Then I go back to the beginning of that beat (hearing something like: TA-DA). The first frame that doesn't have a TA-DA becomes the CUE point.
Dmatrox
imo, cueing up on a cdj should be easier than on decks, you dont get accidental skippage of the record and its faster to get back to the starting point. just set the cue point just before the beat. badda bing
Tiger777
quote:
Originally posted by Dmatrox
imo, cueing up on a cdj should be easier than on decks, you dont get accidental skippage of the record and its faster to get back to the starting point. just set the cue point just before the beat. badda bing

true, but it's a totally different kind of cue'ing. I'm always scratching over the beat when I'm playing with vinyl, but when I'm using CD's, that isn't possible for me and therefor, I like vinyl better :)
BeatSMiTH
Getting to the cue point the the first time on vinyl is much easier, but u'll have to admit that getting back there after with CDs are SOO much faster!

I don't do this myself, but I noticed my friend does this when u uses CDs. Find the first beat of the bar, like the guys said above, and when u're about to cue it up, stab the beat with your cue button (works this way on pioneer based CDJs anyways) on every beat to get the feel, and when u're ready to throw it in, press play. Not bad of a thing to do I guess since it comes kind of close to scratchin to the beat on vinyl.
Inertia
for the record, what cd player do you have?
Tiger777
quote:
Originally posted by BeatSMiTH
I don't do this myself, but I noticed my friend does this when u uses CDs. Find the first beat of the bar, like the guys said above, and when u're about to cue it up, stab the beat with your cue button (works this way on pioneer based CDJs anyways) on every beat to get the feel, and when u're ready to throw it in, press play. Not bad of a thing to do I guess since it comes kind of close to scratchin to the beat on vinyl.

Yep, that way you do get the feeling of vinyl again. Like that, it works fine for me. You just follow the beat pattern of the outgoing track, and when you feel it fits ready to go, press play. I think that's a decent way to CUE with CD's.
CraSHer[UK]
quote:
Originally posted by BeatSMiTH

that sounds like a good idea actually i'll try that. I have to admit tho Im soo pleased i never went for a cd setup, it just doesnt feel right, hope it comes naturally soon tho
Revel
you will get used to it. they are wicked when you do! :)

Freak
CDjs are crap for cueing with a simulated platter- instead of like vinyl where you get say, the first kick drum slower when you run over it, all you get is some crappy emulation of it pitched and slowed down.

Ive found it far better using the minute jog wheel on old denons or even old numarks twin cd jobbys. Personally i find this is one aspect of cdjs that is really poor.

Best way- hit play until it gets to the point you want to mark as the cue point.
Its probable your cue point will be slightly out at this point, so use the jog/platter/ search buttons to wind it forwards or backwards until you have it exactly where you want it, then hit the cue button again.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement