return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

What are whitelabels
View this Thread in Original format
cofrt
I am new to this forum and djing. I have tried searching for the answer but have been unnsuccessful. I have read about whitelabels in some threads but dont quite know what they are. I am guessing they are first release records. Let me know if i am right or wrong.
trancinchink
i think whitelabels are vinyls that are released before an official release date... such as promos. i think even bootlegs are considered white labels.
Boomer187
releases before official release are promos.

bootlegs are white labels. They have to put them out as such because they couldn't get the rights to the song in it.

well, thats what I have come to know.
Shudder
i'd say they are tunes pressed to a record before being signed to any record label. bootlegs count but im not so sure..
my defintion's kinda lame...
dj chex
whitelabels are not always bootlegs, they are more or less pre releases of tracks and test pressings that are distributed in limited numbers among djs and record shops. If you get a job at a record shop you can get a hole crap load of whitelabels and test pressings that many coustomers won't get.
dartman
whitelabels are also a model of cartridge made by shure. link
dj chex
quote:
Originally posted by dartman
whitelabels are also a model of cartridge made by shure. link

Shure called them whitelabels because usually when a dj has a whitelabel it's a heavily prized record. Thus whitelabel cartridges are called this because they are suppose to be the best needles a club dj can use and charished. BTW I love my shure whitelabels :)
Boomer187
so I guess if we average all of our answers, white labels = at the current time, an unreleased track.
xCxStylex
or any track that only comes in a sleeve and has a white sticker label where there is supposed to be official, color label on a released track :)
djeternal2004
well ive always thought that white labels were tracks on vinyl that havent been signed to a label as of yet. After reading this thread i guess ive learned something :D

TwoPlow
It's a white label if the label is blank, and white, generally with something sharpied / stickered on. Oftentimes, only one side has grooves. This can be a promo, a bootleg, unreleased track, whatever.
Spin Doctor
Bootlegs are not always white. Naughty naughty ones can be black too! ;)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement