return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Europe > Europe - United Kingdom & Ireland

making it in the UK
View this Thread in Original format
Klippies_ufo
Hi all,

I'm in the Uk since march and have come over from south africa.
I'm in IT and is sort of struggling to get any decent job here
mainly cause I'm from south africa, even with qualifications
it's not easy. Only contract work is coming my way but I really
want to be here for the long term. This is really bothering me
cause me and my girlfriend really love this place. (except the waether somtimes)

Who can help me out in regards with agencies or websites where
for work etc....

Thanks

Going to my first party here in london when tiesto plays at Heaven!

Can't wait
Coup
if u wana make it in the UK, go on some reality show, make a complete twat of yourself, then reel in the cash for the next 14 years.
Misty Kitty
sell your soul

thats what i did

now i'm a coorporate bitch.

Any agency, just start working, internet cafe's bars, then litereally send your cv to any it company you think will take you.

good luck my friend, london is a bastid if you don't have work

i hear phones4u are hiring
tu_face
do not work for phones4u, nita's cousin works there and they are slave driving bullies that threaten you with the sack when you say you dont want to work 7 days and only be payed for 5....

i suggest moving to another area of the country? if you are stuck for work, london is a bastard because the place is so damn expensive..

i wouldnt know any agencies down there, but send spec letters and CV's to as many IT companies as you can find in the yellow pages.. you shoud get some kind of reply within a few weeks.. some even leave it months. e.g. when i was looking for work, i sent out spec letters to loads of places.. 6 months down the line i get a phone call from thids place asking me if i want a job..

so u never know :)
Ste
where abouts are you in the uk anyway? (edit: doh, ignore that question)

you will probs find you have to trundle along with temp/perm work through agencies or sumthing before you can find a "proper job"

anyway i find reed (www.reed.co.uk) a good agency, and they do "proper" jobs too.
Misty Kitty
quote:
Originally posted by tu_face
do not work for phones4u, nita's cousin works there and they are slave driving bullies that threaten you with the sack when you say you dont want to work 7 days and only be payed for 5....

:haha: guess who Gareth works for :haha:

EDIT: he's handing in his notice on saturday
Klippies_ufo
thanks

i have contract work but contract work is a mission cause now i have to look for work again!!! the thing what i'm looking for i a decent job that a bit more permanent than 2 months.

another thing, how important is a NI number for work purposes???
tu_face
very

without it you cant pay tax, and if you dont pay tax you are illegal :p

without an NI number you are also unable to get a P45, which is a document which is tax related and very important if you dont want to pay extortionate amounts of 'emergency' tax.

also without an NI number you are unable to claim any kind of state benefit should you find yourself without a job for more than a week or 2 :)

can you guess my mum works for the social?? :p
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement