return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

A question for all the DJ's out there w/ regular gigs
View this Thread in Original format
nrjizer
I once heard "don't let your hobby become your job - you'll end up hating it." So, for all those established DJ's who like to hang around in here, what do you think? Not that I necessarily buy into it (since, of course, pretty much the entire point of DJ'ing is to perform for others/share your mixes, unlike a normal hobby you do entirely for yourself), but I thought it would make for a decent coversation.

discuss? :D
Zombie0729
yeah, great question indeed. it is very hard for a DJ to say whether it has become a career, but i can tell you, this. Getting burnt out is NORMAL, everyone has a point where they think the crowd doesn't exist and just playing records isn't enough. That is why you must, like in any profession, find a way to better yourself and your career. Look to the next big club, change things up in your life, realize why you got into it in the first place. The options within DJing now are endless... look at some Dj's that seem to have "disapeared" but in reality, they are doing film scores, writing in other genre's, traveling, there is so much to look forward to!
DJ Kibon
I'm basically a bedroom DJ, and I have to say that I have some fairly strong doubts that DJing will ever be more than a hobby. I've said this a few times on this forum, but my bread and butter in life is going to come from my career (once University is finished up), not the DJ bit.

There would probably be some limits to how often I would want to play out, or else yes, it could sort of start to seem like work. Then again, it's really fun, and I love the music, so I could think of worse things to do for "work" hehe.
KiNeTiC ENeRgY
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Kibon
I'm basically a bedroom DJ, and I have to say that I have some fairly strong doubts that DJing will ever be more than a hobby. I've said this a few times on this forum, but my bread and butter in life is going to come from my career (once University is finished up), not the DJ bit.

There would probably be some limits to how often I would want to play out, or else yes, it could sort of start to seem like work. Then again, it's really fun, and I love the music, so I could think of worse things to do for "work" hehe.

LOL....I wouldn't put to much weight on a University degree anymore, I have a Bachelors in Microbiology and Cell Science, with a Chemistry minor, and can't get hired anywhere that requires a science background. Business will be even harder cause thats what most college yuppies get. Its not what you know, its who you know in the real world with anything.
DJ Kibon
quote:
Originally posted by KiNeTiC ENeRgY
LOL....I wouldn't put to much weight on a University degree anymore, I have a Bachelors in Microbiology and Cell Science, with a Chemistry minor, and can't get hired anywhere that requires a science background. Business will be even harder cause thats what most college yuppies get. Its not what you know, its who you know in the real world with anything.

Well, I'm not exactly out to conquer the world financially speaking, but I'm not terribly worried about things once University is done. I have a pretty darn good resume, and $40K or so per year out of school with a bit of DJing here and there would make me quite happy.
Freak
quote:
"don't let your hobby become your job - you'll end up hating it."

Ooh good one.

True in some respects.
I cant listen to a dj mix without looking at it from a dj perspective, it ruins your love of certain music- in that as you play it all the time, the last thing you want to do unwind is stick it on.
The health implications, the hearing implications, the body clock aspect- it all adds up. I rarely mix at home now either.

The real killer is having to claw and fight your way up the ranks, thats what saps the most energy for it.

THE POLITICS of the business....arrrrrrrrgh :whip:

You know when you dont feel like going out clubbing-maybe you feel e or tired or ill? If its your job you have to-not like an office job where you can take a sicky or go in and pretend to work at your desk. And being self employed, means no work=no pay.

I love it- wouldnt rather be doing anything else at all.

Getting paid to do something you would be doing anyway as a hobby is one of the best things in the world- and probably the ultimate in life/work balance.
Grass is not always greener on the other side.

Im currently at a severe crossroads with regards to my career as it happens.
Zombie0729
quote:
Originally posted by Freak
Oo

THE POLITICS of the business....arrrrrrrrgh :whip:

well, Freak i do agree with about 90% of what you said. However, politics within DJing SO far, do not seem to be anything compared to the corporate i go through everyday at my regular job. Politics runs in any business and i see no difference from DJing to Accounting.
Freak
lol
Give it time....
nem will confirm it too-it can be a nasty business.
jdat
quote:
Originally posted by Freak
You know when you dont feel like going out clubbing-maybe you feel e or tired or ill? If its your job you have to-not like an office job where you can take a sicky or go in and pretend to work at your desk. And being self employed, means no work=no pay.

I do visuals lights etc not djing and I've had to perform sick ... well ... it SUCKS!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement