return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Urgent Computer help!
View this Thread in Original format
Viceroy
Hey Everyone,

Any computer guys out there...with any idea what to do please respond. My computer all of a sudden won't boot up. It lists what speed pentium chip I have in there...and then just stops. Nothing more. I didn't do any changes or anything like that? It won't get to the point where it reads a cd-rom or disk so I can't do a boot like that...and control-alt-delete won't register.

Any help? Please post!
Thanks,
steve
tu_face
does it do any beep code? single bleep means its booted fine... more than one beep usually means sumthings ed up...
Viceroy
It makes one beap...shows that there is a pentium 3 chip in there and then stops.

Is there any type of disconnecting/reconnecting I can do with the hardware inside to reset things?

Thanks
TeKnoHe@d2025
Ah dude, I think I've had this same problem before. I have a Gateway so I called tech support and they couldn't help me. I had to take it out to them to get a new motherboard & hard drive (luckily it was still under warranty).
USSR Junkie
Yeah right,check for beeps during POST procedure!
Even though those beeps depend on waht type of BIOS u have,IBM set some standards:

one SHORT signal only - means POST is done without failures

one long beep and two short beeps - means your video system is ed up
one long beep signal only - means your power supply unit is killed dead
one beep signal and one short signal - means something on your motherboard is ed up

and one more thing - make sure your keyboard is properly connected.Otherwise it wont do ABSOLUTELY anything!
Viceroy
Is there anyway I can boot into dos and correct it from there?

this sucks soo much!
tu_face
quote:
Originally posted by USSR Junkie
and one more thing - make sure your keyboard is properly connected.Otherwise it wont do ABSOLUTELY anything!

mine does a beep code for that aswell...
USSR Junkie
quote:
Originally posted by Viceroy
Is there anyway I can boot into dos and correct it from there?

this sucks soo much!

OK I think your CMOS is dead.U said it didnt start to boot up at all.That means the boot settings are wiped off from CMOS.Probably because of that,u cant boot into DOS even from a floppy disc.U need to reset your CMOS.
Viceroy
How do you reset CMOS? Thanks for your help so far!
USSR Junkie
Frankly,doing this has to be the last step because it's pretty dangerous(i mean taking out the baterry and putting it back, it will erase all the )
First try to enter the SETUP Program while your computer is trying to boot up.Once again,it depends on BIOS ,but somewhere on the screen it has to say to hit something to enter SETUP (usually it is Delete).Or if u have your motherboard's manual u can find it there

Viceroy
yea, I tried to hit delete to enter the bios, but no luck...it didn't go in.

How do I take out the battery and then put it back in?
phasedout
it sounds like you are having a hard drive problem...whenever the computer doesn't see the hard drive it just sticks there...to reset your bios, look in your instruction manual and there should be a jumper that you close...they tell you where it is and how to do it.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement