return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

sequencers/fx question
View this Thread in Original format
dj_strutz
Hey guys and gals... I just got back from seeing Tiesto spin at Ruby Skye in San Fransisco last weekend. It being my first Trance/House concert I was really blown away. Anyway I was curious, being the aspiring dj that I am, if anyone knows what equipment Tiesto uses besides his Turntables. What my question really is: I watched Tiesto continually making hand movements over some piece of equipment (not his tables) and then would hear an effect or beat that matched his hand movements to a T. It seemed as if he was doing alot more then mixing a couple of records together but was actually creating rhythms/effects on the fly using some sort of device. What is this piece equipment called? I know Korg makes a efx pad that has a touch screen but I really was too far from the stage to get a good look at what he was using. I am always looking for ways to improve my gear and appreciate any input regarding any extra goodies to plug in your mixer to create a more unique live performance. Thanks!
tranceDJ
It was probably either a Pioneer efx-500 or Korg Kaos pad. Both of those devices I believe allow you to take an effect and 'tap' it along with the beat of the song. There's plenty of other things you can do with them too so if you got the money (around $350) then you should definetly get one.
dj_strutz
Cool, thanks for the info... it was hard to tell what was coming from the records and what was added but whatever motions he was making with his hands defanitely had an audio component. It was really cool watching him make those effects/beats on the fly. I have the pioneer djm-600 mixer and even though it some of the more popular built in effects, whatever he was using was obviously more elaborate.
Psiweaver
Ya the effects are generally better if there done with a stand alone effects unit as they have more polish on them and generally are more customizable.
tu_face
yeah it will probably have ben an efx500, it has the same effects as the djm600, but you can do 2 at once in series (in theroy, making 25 effects in 5 x 5), that combined with all the extra controllability means you are able to do so much more with it.

i have one, and i think anyone who has the money should get one. i want 2 :toothless
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement