return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Important Decisions!
View this Thread in Original format
beats and beeps
Hey, i've been reading over this board for a while now, and ive been waiting for my account to activate so that i could take part. First off i'd like to clear this out, i DID use the search button, and there has been a million other posts in dj booth exactly like this, but i couldnt find all the info i needed.

Ok, so im getting into djing, ive been using various computer programs, but now im starting to get the money for some equipment. As far as mixers go im thinking either Vestax pcv-180 or vestax pcv-275, or vestax-pcv175. I cant find much info on the 180, but it looks like it does pretty much the same stuff as the 275, could anybody tell me what would make the 275 worth the extra hundred or so over the 180? (i think its around a hundred canadian.) so yeah, basically im just trying to figure out what vestax out of 175, 180 and 275 is worth it for the money. (im 15 money is limited)

Im also looking for a new set of phones, (i wish i had read the anti sony stuff on this forum before i bought my sonys, which cracked of course.) Im thinking either Technics rpdj1200, or pioneer dj5000. Anyone know which is best? Note: i know senn hd280 have best sound, but those just arent good for the way use my phones.

thanks i really appreciate help from people more experienced than me.
CosmoKid
the 180 has no led's for the channel levels.

they all have the pcv crossfader which is supposed to last 2million fades

the 275 has the top audio jack (who cares)

the 275 has split cue and has the cue channel led, i dont think the 175 does.

edit:

i am sure that the 175 does not have a cue level meter, which to me is a big deal.
beats and beeps
Are these differences strong enough to make up for the price difference? I can pretty much rule out getting the pcv175, but is the difference between the 180 and the 275 worth the money?

Ugh, there are so many choices on mixers. numark DM3050 ? Numark DXM06?? (this one is very tempting, any cons to it other than only 2 channels?)
Inertia
LEDs are pretty important, you must learn where to keep your sound so it won't distort and such. a friend of mine has excellent beatmatching, but his cheapass american audio mixer has no LEDs so whenever he spins anywhere, he is ALWAYS in the read without noticing.

also, split cue is kickass.

the technics phones can take a lot of abuse from what i've seen. i've never owned a pair, but i've seen them mistreated and come back for more.
beats and beeps
I should probably mention that i will only be using 2 channels, so im really just looking for the best mixer around 500 bucks (USD)
tu_face
in a nutshell, hardware-wise, the 275 has the following things that the 180 does not:

-eq cuts of -16dB (bass), -12dB (mid), -16dB (high) as opposed to infinite cut
-independant kill switches on channels 1 & 2 (see above)
-a second headfone jack on the front incase you dont like it on the face (handy for B2B action)
-line 4 plugs on the face for easy hotswapping of equipment
-cue LED meter
-eq's on both mic inputs as opposed to just 1
-send and return level knobs for use with effects
-jack sockets instead of rca for effect send/recieve

other than that, its mainly the package on the whole. the 275 is a much more heavy duty mixer as a whole, and will probably last a lot longer. for a start ou can take the face off quite easily to clean things, and its not a moulded case, which is handy in case it ever needs a repair. plus the 275 is very sexy.

edit: and i dont know if this is fact, but the 180 seems a lot more crowded, the 275 is more nicely spaced out as far as i can tell.
trancinchink
wowowowow, u have 500 dollars to spend on a mixer? if i were you i'd get something different... the pcv-275 you can probably find for like.... 350 or something.. you should look ecler smac pro 30 or 40 or you can def. find a slightly used pioneer djm-500 for that price. do some more research online and look at some different mixers.
Psiweaver
I would recommend the Pioneer HDJ1000 phones as they can take a lot of abuse are loud and have been pretty good sound quality many regard these phones as the best out there.
beats and beeps
I've heard alot of bad things about the 1000's though, such as problems with the headband seperating. They are quite pricey so i wouldnt want to pay a high price for headphones that are likely to break (well not again at least...damn sony!)

Also as far as mixers go, seeing as i am only going to be using 2 channels (2 denon 3000s) I have been considering the pioneer djm300. Would this be a better mixer than pcv275? I dont really think so, but my friend keeps saying that the djm300 is better. (but then again he scratches...:whip: :whip:
tu_face
the djm300 is NOT better than the pcv275.

never!

if a djm600 came with no effects unit, and only 3 channels (:p) then the 275 would still be better :)

beats and beeps
Ok, sorry to bump this old post back up, but this is what i;m currently planning to buy.

1 vestax pcv275
2 denon dns3000
1 korg kaoss 2
1 technics 1200 phones

Are any of these poor choices, or would there be anything else id be better off spending the money on (dj equipment wize of course) Also as far as speaker systems go, should i be able to hook the equipment up directly to my stereo, or is an amp needed?

I know that this equipment gets outdated, and i know it would be pretty hard for anyone to accuratly say, but approx. how long would it be until i have to start replacing this stuff. (i know it really depends on how quickly i progress.)

thanks.
auujay
I have those technics cans and they are solid.

About the amp, if you mean hook it up directly to your stereo speakers then you will need an amp. However, if you already have a stereo reciever then you can just connect your mixer out to one of the inputs (aux/line/cd or something) on that and you are good to go.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement