return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP)
View this Thread in Original format
prestige
anyone here have it?
narcism
Personally, i dont have it *runs to listen with stethoscope*

but i did look after a older man who had it, however it did progress significantly leading to endocarditis.

Generally, heart murmurs arent that harmful, unless there is pooling of the blood in the atria or ventricles of the heart.
Mr.Mystery
What is it, exactly?
Ian^
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mystery
What is it, exactly?

I'm with stupid :conf:
dj_mdma
off the top of my head...

You have valves in each chamber of the heart which act as "one way doors" from which blood eject from. Atria contract to send blood into ventricles, which contract to send blood into the circulatory system.

Valve prolapse, means that the valves are faulty. The function of the valves is to shut once blood has been ejected out of its chamber, so it doesn't travel BACK into its chamber via retrograde contraction. like narcism said, it shouldn't lead to any problems, until the blood that DOES leak back begins to pool and clot inside the atrium/ventricles of the heart, which will reduce the heart's efficiency, and also run the risk of dislodging the clot for it to enter the circulatiobn with disastrous results.
Emil
I just finished studying this subject. dj_mdma pretty much summed it up.

Do you have mvp? My mom has it, she takes medication everyday for it.

If you have it, and are neglecting to do anything, in the future you will need heart valve replacement. That's not a fun sugery to go through.
prestige
i was just wondering if anyone had it, cuz i wanted to know how you guys deal with it and how it affects you... my doctor says its no big deal. I have what is called 'trivial mitral valve Regurgitation' trivial meaning minimal. when i get on the decks, i get this nutzo stage fright
Boomer187
I thought that was a heart murmur....

But I still don't even konw what that is...and Ive had one my entire life...
prestige
did it affect you in anyway? in running, sports, stuff liek that.?
narcism
quote:
Originally posted by Boomer187
I thought that was a heart murmur....

It is :p
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement