return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Laser Turntable: Why doesn't anyone know or care more about this?
View this Thread in Original format
ali92
http://www.laserturntable.com/ - I recently ordered a brochure from ELP containg a document written in English & Japanese, as well as an audio CD demonstrating the ELP laser turntable. I couldn't believe how improved the sound quality was when comparing to needle turntables. If you want to preserve you music and perhaps even put it on CD, the laser turntable is what you should be using. My aunt is willing to plunk down the ~8000 to ~14000 USD for this machine because she is into Hi-Fi things and wants to preserve her music, as well as make a digital archive of it in the highest possible quality. My question on here, as I know there's _plenty_ of people here into vinyl, is this: Is it that you don't know about this product or that you actually _like_ damaging your records with a needle every single time you play it? A laser can read into places a needle can't even get close to. Heck, this turntable can even play broken records -- something a conventional needle player can't do. Why not listen for yourself by having ELP Japan send you a free brochure with the demo CD?

PS: Laser turntable -- a must for all vinyl enthusiasts.
PPS: I don't work for ELP or anything, but I can't get enough of high quality sound, which is why I archived all of my original music in FLAC (flac.sourceforge.net) format.
basd
I didn't even know there was something like this available.. Should indeed be good when you care about sound quality.. Unfortunately, most people here use their vinyl for DJing and for that it's pretty damn useless :) So it's not really a MUST BUY or something.

And by the way, it's in' expensive as well.. As with most hi-fi quality stuff by the way.
DJAntSmith
I knew about em. V expensive the ones i seen though. And not really practical for DJing.
ali92
quote:
Originally posted by basd
I didn't even know there was something like this available.. Should indeed be good when you care about sound quality.. Unfortunately, most people here use their vinyl for DJing and for that it's pretty damn useless :) So it's not really a MUST BUY or something.

And by the way, it's in' expensive as well.. As with most hi-fi quality stuff by the way.

OK. I figured this was going to be said so, here's what I would do: Copy the record to a PC and burn to CD for DJ'ing with the perfect sound.
This laser turntable should be a must-buy for rippers and other people who want to preserve their music across generations. Unfortunately, there seem to be many people out there like GrimReaper (sp?) who don't care about preserving their music for the future generations. They probably never stopped to think about if they were to have chldren or even were to be asked about what music was once like in whatever year. You would be able to actually have them listen to the best quality sound that represents that music.

If I were to get into DJ'ing, I wouldn't even bother with vinyl and just got for the CD because I bet even after having the laser turntable, how do you get perfect mastering after the sound gets to your PC. Heck, how do you set your recording levels without having any problems whilst digitising the record?

PS: Does anyone know of a similar cassette tape deck used for archival?
nrjizer
quote:
Originally posted by ali92
This laser turntable should be a must-buy for rippers and other people who want to preserve their music across generations. Unfortunately, there seem to be many people out there like GrimReaper (sp?) who don't care about preserving their music for the future generations. They probably never stopped to think about if they were to have chldren or even were to be asked about what music was once like in whatever year. You would be able to actually have them listen to the best quality sound that represents that music.

A little high on ourselves, aren't we? I'm all for preserving the music for our kids, but unfortunately I don't money. And if I did have $8,000 to blow I'd buy 2 CDJ-1000's and a crazy mixer so I could just buy my music on CD, straight from the mastering studio.
_-MIl0
quote:
OK. I figured this was going to be said so, here's what I would do: Copy the record to a PC and burn to CD for DJ'ing with the perfect sound.

If I were to get into DJ'ing, I wouldn't even bother with vinyl and just got for the CD because I bet even after having the laser turntable, how do you get perfect mastering after the sound gets to your PC. Heck, how do you set your recording levels without having any problems whilst digitising the record?

damn chill out man, if we want to record our audio we can just do it using a needel it will still be the same quality since its anolog it will record at whatever quality you set you computer to record it at. and if your not gonna use the record to dj then whats the point. of getting it in that medium .anyways Just chill out man,
BTG
they should just make a lazer needle, that could work with any table.
Floorfiller
that may be fine and dandy for your granny...but it doesn't really look like a dj friendly turntable...
Eric Siefer
yea and it doesn't hold 12"

If I were rich, and wanted to save all of my moms 45's for some reason, I might get it.
kreamy
if im not mistaken there is a limit to the resolution of the laser...the increments by which it can detect change in surface.

TeKnoHe@d2025
quote:
Originally posted by BTG
they should just make a lazer needle, that could work with any table.

Wouldn't work, it would still need components to decode what the laser is reading into audio and such. Makes more sense to just create a table using this than it does to mod another.
3xx3r7
quote:

Ok, you seem to ignore two main points, stated previously by fellow TA's, which makes me think more and more that you either work for them or you were hired to promote the product. Before I explain those two points, I'll say that almost everyone in here uses vynil for DJ'ing.

Point number one: It is ing expensive, most of us don't have money. Therefore, preserving records/music is not number one priority. DJ'ing is an expensive hobby as it is. Point number two: Not everyone likes mixing on CD-R's. My personal opinion is that mixing on CD-R's is cheesy, since you can easily download a song from internet and throw it in your gigs, and I prefer vynil by far.

I hope I clearly explained it. This is a wrong place to advertise this product.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement