return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
How do u make vocal trance?
View this Thread in Original format
Subtle
I have never really worked properly with vocals before..

I sat down recently trying to make a vocal of Delerium - Silence, with rather clean vocals.. no problem that...

but I wonder, how is the best way.. or what do u think it`s the best way to work with vocal track.. any tips.. I tried to make a bassline and a beat and put the vocals over.. and it didnt work out at all... and how the hell are u suppose to know which notes fit with the vocals...?
Massive84
quote:
Originally posted by Subtle
I have never really worked properly with vocals before..

I sat down recently trying to make a vocal of Delerium - Silence, with rather clean vocals.. no problem that...

but I wonder, how is the best way.. or what do u think it`s the best way to work with vocal track.. any tips.. I tried to make a bassline and a beat and put the vocals over.. and it didnt work out at all... and how the hell are u suppose to know which notes fit with the vocals...?

i don't know exaclty either, because i never worked with vocals before

I think it's important that you know the Tempo that fits the vocal, bass chords are very important also, best thing to find out is playing with bassstrings, and when the feel is right, chop it down in to a bassline, and build a string above the bassstring/pad.

Further the rest should go smoothly i think.
midaV
Building a song AROUND a vocal would be very heard and im sure would require great music theory skills to be able to pinpoint the notes that the vocal hits.

To me I would have to say the best way to do a vocal track, would be to create a tune that you like and in the mood that you like, and somewhere along the song leave openings or just spots where you can put the vocal.

A vocal is basically just like a synth, except it says something instead of just making a noise, for instance in delerium silence imagine the vocal being a synth, get what im saying?

Just try to mold the vocal to match the notes of the song..

My two cents;)
Derosas
Post a sample and I will figure out the chord progression. It is simple, but you do need to know some music theory. (not a lot though)
tupsox
quote:
Originally posted by Derosas
Post a sample and I will figure out the chord progression. It is simple, but you do need to know some music theory. (not a lot though)

There is of course, the old school method of simply playing your piano over the instrument/vocal in question and transcribing the notes...much easier if you have some knowledge of theory, but even someone who doesn't should be able to sit there and figure it out. Just set loop points and listen to the vocals over and over, putting the notes in your sequencer as you figure them out. Its ghetto, but the beauty is anyone can do it :)

Vocals are of course only one note...so while a particular vocal line will be in a certain key, you have flexibility over exactly which notes in a chord you want to play to accompany it. Use this to your advantage, and don't just have the bassline and pads and what all simply play the same notes as the vocal :wtf:

From a more technical standpoint, be sure to compress (with a high ratio and short attack) your vocal track, and perhaps boost the highs a little....it'll sound a lot crisper and more even
SignalRunners B
Writing a track around the vocals is easy enough, but tackleing the task of writing vocals for the track is slightly harder :)

First off the best advice anyone could ever give you about writing vocals: worry about the "message" or the "words" later. You need to get 2 things straight, in this order:

1) This sounds stupid. But it's not and its the most important part of writing vocals. Get the SOUNDS out first--not the words, the sounds. Not even the key or music theory--get the actual SOUND of the word. Basically write yourself a bassline and put a kick over-- then get the grove of where you want vocals to sit and sing over the loop. Make noises etc in the style of vocals that you want. The sound of the word is much more important than the actual words themselves. If you've heard alot of trance tunes, or really any other tunes in other genres with vocals---some of the words are really really stupid!! But they way that they flow and the way that they end and string together with the next word is the way that they get their leading hook together. Thats why the best way to aproach getting the sounds right is just kind of humming- makeing noise and grunts to get what kind of sounding word you want to choose for the line. That might sound confusing, but read it a few times and then try it.

2) Get the tune right. After you've found HOW you want the words to sound, get the melody that you want the sounds to follow. Pretty simple--write it as you write synth leads.

After you've mastered those two steps for your track, choose your words to fit the sounds, and words that sound good in those specific keys that you have chosen.

Good luck!!
Subtle
Hi, I appreciate all the help I can get on this issue..

I uploaded the vocals, for those interested in finding the key ;)
link: vocals

How can u find the tempo for the vocals.. or and adjust it...

btw: how is the Antares Auto Tune, heard it works good on vocals?
dj_alfi
get the midi, silence is a pretty well known tune, u can get the midi by either searching google or av, or simply just go to the Midi Section right here....
Timothy
You can also try to slice the vocals into a Rex file.
Subtle
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy
You can also try to slice the vocals into a Rex file.
that`s a very nice idea mate.. ill try that ;)

kewlness
try this midi.. made it by listening to the notes and then playing on midi

http://individual.utoronto.ca/jeanl...silencemidi.mid

the most common keys (used in tiesto's remix and several others as well) used for this song goes like this

Am for the verses

When the chorus comes in, it goes like F, G, Am, G... Work around with that and you should be fine...

If you want to be innovative...

TRY THIS!!!

basically, took my guitar and played along with the acapella and came up with the following chords

Verse:
F7 G G/Dm Dm Am
F7 G G/Dm Dm Am
Am G G/Dm Dm Am

Chorus:
F7 G G/Dm Dm Am
F7 G G/Dm Dm Am
etc....

I recorded the guitar along with the acapella and here it is for you to listen... It isn't mastered, the recording totally sucks.. yeah i know ;)

http://individual.utoronto.ca/jeanl...lenceguitar.mp3

Now I know some of you may not be musically inclined... but basically each chords have these notes

F7: F/A/C/E
G: G/B/D
G/Dm: D/G/A
Dm: D/F/A
Am: A/C/E

Try these chords, and I'm sure you'll have a killer remix.. good luck!
tribu
I agree with cutting up the vocals. I love to splice them into what are essentially nonsensical syllables, rearrange them so they sound like theyre saying something, though its just noise, and throw it over my beats.

Another good example of vocal cutting is the chanty buildup in Infusions mix of Delerium - Truly
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement