return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
First thread - I got the balls?
View this Thread in Original format
razorz
Ok, after reading countless TA threads *I wish TA meant and ass* I've decided to post my own. Unfortunately I decided to post on a nite when I am tanked... such is life.. anyhow.. I'm a huge Goa/Psy-trance fan.

I'm new to this whole "make music/mix music" crowd as my life has just been listening to these different beats and appreciated what artists have done with simple tones. I want to make my own music but I have no artistic talent whatsoever. I am semi-bright and very computer literate and have a deep wallet, if that means anything. Oh, by the way, my main computer at home is a Powerbook G4 with quite a bit of x86 laying around but for the purpose of this post please assume OSX.

I went out and purchased Apple Soundtrack and Logic Express 6. I have an Edirol 30 key MIDI/USB keyboard and have been ing around with various Garage Band sounds on the keyboard. I have no mixer, no hardware synth, no this, no that.. just my keyboard and my laptop with a USB input. I cant figure out how Logic Express can let me with different instruments and hear then off of my MIDI keyboard *which plays through my laptop's sound card btw*.. I've created a few tunes that my friends actually like with Soundtrack but would like to add a bit of my own "bull" if you will from keyboard sounds. I took band in my highschool days so have a bit of "musical understanding," whatever that means, to me.

What I ask of this thread is to help me, and other possible morons out there *god help us all if other morons exist in this world*, get an understanding of what is required to create trance music. I dont need a whole tutorial since I know you make loops with the keyboard and inport them into a progam like Logic or Soundtrance/Cubase/etc, edit them and whatnot and vuoala, you have trance.. I just want a basic understanding of how other beginning/experienced artists on this form create their sounds/music and get an idea of what kind of hardware and equipment I should look for to do this effectively and efficiently.

Forgive my drunken grammar in advance!

Thanks,

Damon -- aka razorz
beats and beeps
Welcome to trance addict, and i think you may find you get better replies when you post these kinds of threads in the production section (one section down from this one.)
razorz
Whoops :( told you I was tanked :) I was just reading the threads in this section and kind of assumed it was ok..

Next time I will be sober.. I swear.. *waits for lightning to strike him dead.*
dartman
posting drunk is where its at. atleast a third of my posts come from 4 or more beers:D
dj chex
Nice, just play around w/ your new toys and welcome to TA!!!
PVD & T[]C
there are two things you can do two start off. you can either spend large sums of money on production equipment or you can use software that will do the job in one little package, even though i dont know if they are supported for macs (im sure they are.)

software is nice because it doesnt use up any space in your basement and can be incredibly versatile. You can make any sound using oscillaters that use different waveforms and equations and controls, all packed into i nice little plugin. there are two really nice peices of software that you could use. FLstudio (fruity loops) or Reason. Both are nice and each has its ups and downs. hell, you say you have a deep wallet, get both. there is a lot to learn but dont let that discourage you. i didnt know half of what i do now two weeks ago, but there is still a lot to learn. once you learn these you can be off to making quality trance tracks. i HIGHLY suggest checking out this software and browsin the production studio section of these forums. there are SOOOO many pages of useful info that you can benefit from.

your second option is hardware. you already have some, which is great, but there are a lot of things you would need to get. besides being really espensive and taking up a lot of space, you really wouldnt want to blow all this money yet until you really need it. the fact is you can do anything in software that you can with hardware, and more. even some professional producers use software such as FLStudio. just check it out, browse these forums, do some research and see how things go.

oh yeah, and welcome to TA:D
razorz
Thanks for the welcomes, guys! Kind of nice to see that kind of community spirit here instead of the usual "f you, f you, my 's better" kind of deal.. which I'm sure still happens ;) Anyhow, I also appreciate the input and what I assumed was correct *kind of scary* I will look into Reason but I do not believe FLStudio has a Mac version. I looked around a bit and saw nothing but either A. I'm lazy or B. I'm blind or C. It doesn't exist.

Either way, thanks for the welcomes!

ps. that first post was after 18 beers :(

-d
tu_face
yeah reason is a great prog to get if you want to get into production note: the sequencer is e though so use something else for it like cubase or somethin (i use cool edit pro 2). and if you plan on moving into hardware later on (i noticed the deep pockets comment ;)) its also great for teching you the basics of hardware, as it is layed out very much like hardware is. It looks a bit daunting at first (i think this is why a lot of people like fruity, its simple) but once you realise what things do, you will realise that all those knobs do the same thing but to a different thing :)
DJ-Igloo
software is great to start off with imho but hardware is so much better but both can acheive the same things if u try hard enough at both and welcome to ta
Mr.Mystery
quote:
Originally posted by tu_face
note: the sequencer is e though so use something else for it like cubase or somethin (i use cool edit pro 2).

Ehum... "in my opinion".

Neeldan
Mr. Mystery what do you think about Reason and Sequencer included in it ?
Massive84
quote:
Originally posted by Neeldan
Mr. Mystery what do you think about Reason and Sequencer included in it ?

i think he will say what i think as well

one of the best and easiest.

i find cubase crap.

because the only vst that is worthy to switch from Reason to a vst sequencer is absynth and pro53 rest are not that great.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement