return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Your own edit
View this Thread in Original format
tw1tch
I'm curious for those who know, how others make their own edits. I'm gathering when they I see people have made an edit, they took the original and simply added something to it, but they never remixed the original, meaning recreated the tune with their own elements and some from the original. If that is the case, they simply have a copy of the 1 song and add to it to make an 'edit' of it. How do you do this? Do you have something like say Cubase playing the whole song while you add your own elements? Do you break the original up and rebuild, how's it done if you don't have the original bits? For example, PVD for Politics of Dancing, he did a lot of reworks/edits whatever you want to call, it, some songs really only adding his own kicks/bass do to the song, so it didn't sound that much different but it was. Anyone want to shed some light on that?

thnx.
tom_langford
From my point of view, i'll just do it all in Cubase as thats the only sequencer i really use anymore. I'll basically just shorten a breakdown if i feel it to be to long or vice versa/ add layers of percussion if i feel it to be a bit bare and i want to add a bit more rhythm/ you could even cut out vocals in parts if your not too fond of them. It's just cut'n'pasting and adding perc's or a synth here and there so that the finished product will fit your style of dj'ing more - at least this is what i'll do in my edits. Hope this helps, Tom :)
tw1tch
I guess I was more wondering, do you simply play the original while adding content, or rip up the original and use it to create something different (though sounding very similar). Just wondering, do you toss the original track into cubase, have cubase play it while you add things here and there?
brian
quote:
Originally posted by tw1tch
I guess I was more wondering, do you simply play the original while adding content, or rip up the original and use it to create something different (though sounding very similar). Just wondering, do you toss the original track into cubase, have cubase play it while you add things here and there?

Depends on the song. I've done it both of those ways in my edits. Some songs I want to rearrange a little, so I take exerpts from them, save them separately, and arrange, filter, layer, etc. them however I like. Other times I just want to add stuff on top (like make a kick more sharp, add in some higher hihats, etc)...so the original is laid out in its entirety, and then I just add layers and tweak them to my liking.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement