return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
MK2 help
View this Thread in Original format
smoorhs
I'm going to pick up some used MK2s and I, not being familiar with the decks, what should I look for that may look like a problem to the novice and not to the amateur? Any way to test it for a problem? Or just the classic test ? :)

thanks
mut1ny
nothing really they can all be fixed :) only thing i would look at is the price and if you need help with adjusting the pitch fader go to ww.remixmag.com/ar/remix_turntablist_techniques_5/index.htm and all i can say is just check the tonearm and make sure there is no bad bendings cause that thing is 100 bucks by itself.
Dirk W.
If you look at my post at the end of this thread, it will give you some basic things to look at when buying used turntables of any model of Technics. Hope this helps.

http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...threadid=198396
smoorhs
ah cool, thanks for the thread info. i asked a question there that i guess i will re-post here..

is the POP-up light important? the decks I'm trying to buy.. the owner says it's broken.
KiNeTiC ENeRgY
quote:
Originally posted by smoorhs
ah cool, thanks for the thread info. i asked a question there that i guess i will re-post here..

is the POP-up light important? the decks I'm trying to buy.. the owner says it's broken.

Don't buy busted up decks, just keep looking for another set if your buying used...there are a bunch out there that are in mint condition for dirt cheap, you just have to work a bit harder to find them. You don't wanna buy a new toy only to fix it. Now to answer your question yes it is somewhat important as you will have no light in a dark environment, unless you rig something else up for stylus/record groove lighting.
smoorhs
true but can a college kid beat $350 for a pair of 1200s, locally ? :o

**NEW INFO**

i called him today and he said they were used at a club for years, but still work great. i mean why not, if they work they work. right ?

he said the pop up light goes up and down still but the bulbs are just burned. what kind of bulbs would i need for that?
Freak
dont let a blown target light stop you buying a pair.

I encounter loads of blown target lights on pairs in clubs- its common.
Easy to fix and not expensive at all

Mk2s are bombproof, and most importantly dont lose value- if they are a bargain you could well end up making a profit if you decide to sell.

p.s $350>???? for a pair? of 1200s??

I paid 350 ukpounds for a pair with ortofons, and that was a a major bargain
- given the current exchange rate, that would make your pair less than 200uk pounds for the pair which is a MAJOR bargain. Phone him NOW and bit his arm off before someone else does.
smoorhs
I did. Meeting him after work. and yes, $350USD for a pair of USED 1200s. They were used in a club for years but the DJs wanted the MK5s. So, they recently upgraded and I found this guy through ebay and he just happened to be local!

No carts but whatever. This sounds like a great deal to me. I was going to save and buy everything brand new but why not get the pair for $350.. who cares about a little cosmetic damage.

By the way, Freak, what cartridges would you recommend? I'm having a heck of a time deciding :o
Freak
ortofon concordes
Not a bad word to say about them
Doesnt matter if they are lower range ones, they are all essentially the same
smoorhs
quote:
Originally posted by Freak
ortofon concordes
Not a bad word to say about them
Doesnt matter if they are lower range ones, they are all essentially the same

smoorhs
New Question

does anyone have a site explaining how to replace the Pop-Up light and what I would need to purchase to do so? Thanks in advance.

I searched briefly but couldn't find what I need.
KiNeTiC ENeRgY
well, $350 for a set is an excellent deal you should not let pass you buy. Secondly, if the bulb is just burned out, then thats a whole different story than a broken pop-up light as you stated before, so buy them quick bro!!!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement