return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

A question about soundcards
View this Thread in Original format
nrjizer
I could be mistaken, but I recall hearing that the M-Audio Audiophile (which I'm considering getting) is lousy for gaming. I currently use the onboard sound with my NForce2 motherboard. Is it possible to have both sound cards installed at once, but to just disable one in the device manager/sound properties, and use the other?
BetaFactory
I can't answer your question directly, but I know of people who have several audio cards in use at the same time.
Stuart Silver
quote:
Originally posted by nrjizer
Is it possible to have both sound cards installed at once, but to just disable one in the device manager/sound properties, and use the other?

Yup. The way I've got my system configured is as follows- Onboard NForce audio for games/windows and Terratec DMX 6 Fire for production. Assuming you're using XP, goto Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices then select the audio tab & choose the NForce on-board sound as the default driver.
alanzo
quote:
I could be mistaken, but I recall hearing that the M-Audio Audiophile (which I'm considering getting) is lousy for gaming.

I have an audiophile... while I'm not a hardcore PC gamer, I have played my share of games on this card. Kingpin, Warcraft III, StarCraft, Unreal II, Unreal Tournament 2003, 2004, and even the DOS Classic X-COM Enemy Unknown...

You can't use the EAX effects and crap but who cares about those :p

Other than not having EAX effects it works perfectly with every PC Game I've played on it
nrjizer
Alright. And while we're at it, should I be considering another card besides the Audiophile for use with a decent midi controller? (I'm leaning towards a Radium 61 at this point)
alanzo
quote:
Alright. And while we're at it, should I be considering another card besides the Audiophile for use with a decent midi controller? (I'm leaning towards a Radium 61 at this point)

well your sound card doesn't really matter when it comes to a MIDI controller.
Dance123
Hi Alanzo and others,

What exactly are those "EAX effects"?! I believe somebody described them as a glorief effect processor giving reverb, etc.. to games. Now, if you don't have a soundcard with EAX, won't your games sound dry then without the effects?!
alanzo
quote:
Originally posted by Dance123
Hi Alanzo and others,

What exactly are those "EAX effects"?! I believe somebody described them as a glorief effect processor giving reverb, etc.. to games. Now, if you don't have a soundcard with EAX, won't your games sound dry then without the effects?!

the EAX effects are extra effects that creative cards throw onto video games, music, and whatever else... i'm sure the games are a bit more emmersive with the FX.. but all the in-game FX still work so it sounds fine without them
Dance123
Hi,

How do those "EAX effects" actually work with everything, like if those "EAX effects" or ON in the Audigy settings panel, does that mean that everything automatically is affected by them, meaning that if you make music in Cubase SX they will also be there in the signal path or do the EAX effects know that they should only go active when a games starts (perhaps the game sends a command or whatever). How does that work, like do you always have to go the control panel to turn EAX on or off depending if you want to play a game or make music or can you set it for each app or does the app (game) need to send a command or something?! How do those EAX fx work, cause I believe I've also heard that certain people have them in Cubase SX as inserts? Is this inevitable when they're ON in the settings or how do these EAX effects exactly work??!

Thanks for the info!
alanzo
quote:
Originally posted by Dance123
Hi,

How do those "EAX effects" actually work with everything, like if those "EAX effects" or ON in the Audigy settings panel, does that mean that everything automatically is affected by them, meaning that if you make music in Cubase SX they will also be there in the signal path or do the EAX effects know that they should only go active when a games starts (perhaps the game sends a command or whatever). How does that work, like do you always have to go the control panel to turn EAX on or off depending if you want to play a game or make music or can you set it for each app or does the app (game) need to send a command or something?! How do those EAX fx work, cause I believe I've also heard that certain people have them in Cubase SX as inserts? Is this inevitable when they're ON in the settings or how do these EAX effects exactly work??!

Thanks for the info!

The last time I used a creative card was when I had a SB Live! Platinum 5.1 which was about 3 years ago. So I'm not up on the latest technolgy. But I know that the FX effect everything and is the last part of the signal path before the D/A conversion.. so everything gets effected. And games can send it their own settings that make the game sound best which you have to turn on in the game settings.

Neeldan
I've spotted this thread so I don't make another one because I've got question about soundcard. Namelly I'm going to buy ESI Waveterminal 192L and I'd like to hear you comments, advices ?.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement