return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
College?
View this Thread in Original format
Perfect_Cheezit
I'm 17, I'm in my senior year of high school here in the United States, and I'm not worried about college at all. I'm really yearning for it and I can't wait for this year to be over even though its just begun. The question is, should I be worried about applying to colleges and is it as stressful a process as people make it out to be? My grades are good, my class schedule is challenging by many standards but I still think its very easy, and I'm taking university classes already at the University of Minnesota. I'm not worried about getting into college but people tell me I should be worried about where I want to go, how to pay for it, etc, but I'm just not.
D-res
apply to the UW madison and you wont regret it... hehehe. i myself knew what i wanted to do all thru HS so i know where i want to go to school after this year. (im a senior too) Luckily my decision for school is easy because where im going i dont need good grades, so i have been able to coast thru school without too much effort. everyone tells me, oh andy, you should have a 4.0 but theres no need. my IQ says im highly gifted and near genious, but im not worried about great grades in school cause i really dont have to be.

if you have good grades, are smart, blah blah blah, you dont really need to worry about applying. if you have a 3.7 or up, you can get almost anywhere you want, assuming your ACT and/or SAT scores are 24+ / 1000+

fact is, its stressful, but since you seem to be the type of person who does great in school and has good GPA and test scores, it shouldnt be too bad for you...

oh yeah, your avatar makes me mad:whip:
Nautilus
Don't worry too much. You'll get into some college, somewhere, and have loads of fun. One piece of advice though; while having fun, be careful with those credit cards. Student loans are really unavoidable as college these days costs an arm and a leg, but fortunately the juice on them is around 3%. Credit on the other hand saddles you with 15% plus, making it difficult for you to ever pay them off if you only pay the minimum balance. Luckily I graduated college with only $1,500 in credit card debt, which has already been paid off; however, I have friends who ran up $10,000 plus in credit debt. Needless to say, they will be hurting financially for a good period of time.
SportTrance
Its really no big deal.

Teachers/Counselors in highschool are famous for intentionally scaring students. Its like a preparation for whats to come, so it wont seem so bad when its there.

I know its time consuming, but i wouldnt really say its stressful. UNLESS you are like DYING to get into this OOOOONE school, and ABSOLUTELY WOOONT accept anything less, like so many brainwashed students that think theres only one road to success, then well, youve created your own possible nightmare.

If you have a fair list of schools youre interested in, then youll be alright.
Mr. Pink
everyone makes it seem so much harder than it really is.

when i was in HS in puerto rico.......all my class mates applied to PR colleges cept for me. I didnt even take the entrance exam for a Puerto Rican college cuz i wanted to study in the states and that was that.

You have NO IDEA how much i got from the teachers and the students for that.......

"what if you dont get accepted?!"

"what if you end up without a college at all?"

"what will you do?!"

*cue bitch slap*

seriously, its not big deal.

just apply, and wait. if you get accepted, good.....if you dont, big in deal. Justmake sure you have a 100% sure thing in one of them, at least. ;)

and yeah, i got accepted into all 5 of the american colleges.

peAce!
Floorfiller
i guess it depends on where you wanna go. i was automatically accepted to my state colleges because i had good stats so i didn't worry. but if you are gonna be going to school next fall, you might wanna start getting those appications in so that you don't have to deal with it later. i'm sure a lot of people are gonna put it off til the last minute and then the school they wanna go to might be filling up...
brian
quote:
Originally posted by Perfect_Cheezit
The question is, should I be worried about applying to colleges and is it as stressful a process as people make it out to be? ... people tell me I should be worried about where I want to go, how to pay for it, etc, but I'm just not.

Don't worry about it. You'll get in somewhere. I had no trouble at all getting into college and I only applied to 3 places (two in-state, the other was out of state but I knew I wouldnt be able to afford it). Anyway...don't stress. So many people stress over it and it's really no big deal at all.

Relax ;)
_Nut_
If you or your family has money, then there is no big deal to worry about. If you arent well to do, you can take out loans. Otherwise if your grades are that good and you are doing proficient in college courses right now, you could be up for a scholarship.

The only thing is, since you are a senior now and you havent applied, you may be a little worse off than others. Let me try to explain. If you wanted to goto a state school (where basically alot of people apply and get in) you don't have to worry about how soon you apply. You would most likely be granted admission. But if you were wanting to go to a bigger school (ie big ten or anu ivy league) you need to bust your ass and get your apps out now. At the best of the best schools your high grades are just the normal for applicants there.

Case in point. Myself.

Graduated HS with a 3.85

Schools applied to: 5
UW Madison
Texas A&M
Northern Illinois University
South Dakata School of Mines
Penn State

Schools put on waiting list: 4
UW Madison
Texas A&M
South Dakata School of Mines
Penn State

Schools accepted to: 3
UW Madison (after a 7 month wait)
Texas A&M (3 month wait)
Northern Illinois University (no wait)

Schools offering funding: 0

My choice came down to money. All are great schools for meteorology, but I didnt want to pay an extra 30k+ after loans and such for going out of state to Tx or Wi. So in all just know your options and know what you are wanting to do. If you are going to college undecided, goto a community college and get an associates before you spend the big penny at a regular uni.
st3nc
im a senior right now and i really havnt done . ive written my esseys, but have yet to fill out my apps. just as long as you have a safety school then theres nothing to worry about. but i can tell im gonna procrastinate the hell out of these applications, i still need to ask teachers for recs and like that.
ierxium
Getting in is the easy part if you have done okay in school. The tough part is statying in and not dropping out.

TweeK
quote:
Originally posted by st3nc
im a senior right now and i really havnt done .

same here:toothless

Muahhahahahha
brian
hell, im a senior in college and to be honest i really havent done in college.

oh well, heh :cool:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement