return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

computer memory question
View this Thread in Original format
enferno
right now, i have one stick of 512mb, PC3200 in my computer. I have from my old computer a stick of 512mb, PC2100. Are they compatable to put into my current computer together? Or do they have to have the same PC rating?COmputer memory question
Lephaid
Check your motherboard manual...should probably say something about it there.
enferno
it just says don't plug in non-compatable memory . .

doesn't say what is compatable or not however
Lephaid
Okay...you should be able to mix them then, but the 3200 will run at the speed of your other piece of memory.
Kamaya
quote:
Originally posted by Lephaid
Okay...you should be able to mix them then, but the 3200 will run at the speed of your other piece of memory.

^^_true_^^
itsTrueSonic
i don't know about the bus speed on each of the memories, but it depends on your motherboard, and if it supports the bus speed .. either a 100 or 133 MHz (i think there's a 166 MHz bus out there now, or 233 .. not sure ...)
itsTrueSonic
damn ... that proves how much i am outdated .. it's up to 400 MHz now .. hahhaa ..

but yes .. it depends if your board is going to support it .. if not, either an error message or drop it's bus speed..
igottaknow
here's an idea add the ram if it works its compatible, if it doesn't then its not. Not exactly rocket science.
Turbonium
Some crap motherboards, if incompatible, will either fry themself or the RAM if you do the above... ^^
kaz1_2ghz
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread....864#post2875864

enferno
now i've heard it's ok, and it's not ok.

i think i'm just going to take it into the tech guys at work tomorrow.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement