return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

cd turntable & mixer question
View this Thread in Original format
CRZtoshi
yes i'm a noob, so I have several questions...

i'm planning to get some cdj-800's, but I was wondering if any other brands such as gemini or other brands have cd-turntables which are as good of quality as the cdj-800's??(direct competition to the cdj-800's)

next question is, if i'm going to get cd turntables, is it even worth paying for nice ones, or are most of them the same, and should I just invest in a nice mixer instead???
beats and beeps
The most direct competition for the cdj800 is the Denon dns3000. It is in the same price range, but has a spinning platter, sampler, and mp3. Dont ask which is better though, the only way you will find out is by trying them for yourself.

Although personally the dns3000 having 0.02 accuracy while the cdj has 0.05 makes the denon outshine the pioneer instantly imo.
tu_face
if you have the money, invest in good cd decks. the pitch increments are much better on the more expensive cd decks, and the cheaper ones often won't last as long.

definitely have a try on both the cdj800 & the denon dns3000.

personally i would go for the denon, as it has more spanky features.

don't buy a cheap mixer though, go for something in the middle like a pioneer djm300 or vestax pcv180/275 :)
CRZtoshi
coo... thanks for the input!!:) what about the denon DN-S1000...
beats and beeps
cheaper, but no spinning platter (a poor static platter) so you have no accurate cue point indication besides the timer in the display. The pio gets away with a static platter because it has that little display in the center of the platter. Its still very useable though.

The worst part is it can only be as accurate as 0.1, which is just not acceptable in my books. If you dont have the money, this is a fair option...its better than the cdj100 at least.
CRZtoshi
so what exactly does this .1 accuracy indicate??? is it something that will totally piss me off later??
varun
I use both the dn-s5000 and dn-s3000. Personally, the dn-s5000 is rather overhyped so i suggest you go for the dn-s3000.
The extras that the 5000 has over the 3000 are alpha track,a-b splicing and mirror mixing. These extra features are somewhat practical but not worth the extra money that you have to pay.
Besides, you're just starting out so dn-s3000 should be good for you.:)
razzi
quote:
Originally posted by CRZtoshi
so what exactly does this .1 accuracy indicate??? is it something that will totally piss me off later??

this is the accuracy of the pitch slider. on turntables the pitch sliders are analog, but since cds are digital, its impossible to get a 100% smooth pitch slider. when changing the pitch of songs, you move the slider -/+ to beatmatch the two tracks.. a cdj that changes up to 0.1% is five times less accurate than a cdj that changes pitch to 0.02%.

ex. if track A is playing at 0% change, and track B needs to be pitched +1.06%, you could hit that exact mark on the other cdj and be more accurate in your mix. if the cdj was only accurate to 0.1, you would have to pitch it to +1.1% or +1.0% and then keep riding the pitch to keep things synched. so yes, it will totally piss you off later when youre looking to keep long transitions matched up

-razzi

EDIT: you seem like a noob at djing (correct me if im wrong - we were all there at some point).. you may want to try using some computer programs to test out mixing before you actually buy the equip, its cheaper and gives you a slight feel for it. just an idea..
dj1212
I have a pair of CDJ-800s and I love them - great value for the price. Although I haven't been using them as much lately to mix dance music so I am not sure about the pitch accuracy issue.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement